breaking news

Police, state troopers investigating accident on U.S. 40, east of Springfield

Federal funds awarded for local projects

Clark County says funding decrease means fewer grants in future.


Clark County will use $177,000 in grant funds for three infrastructure projects next year, but will likely reduce the number of projects in the coming years because of cuts in funding levels.

The county is allocated Community Development Block Grant funds each year, awarded to low-to-moderate income areas from the federal government through the Ohio Development Services Agency.

David Fleck, grant coordinator for the Clark County Community Development department, said the county uses the annual funding to complete three to four projects, but will likely reduce that number after cuts in funding.

The county received $299,000 in 2010, but the funding has reduced each year since. Last year, the county received $239,000 after receiving $274,000 in 2011.

“It’s going to make it very difficult,” Fleck said. “We’re going to have to probably reduce the number of projects we’re doing each year to ensure we’re making real significant progress on the projects we are doing.”

The three projects include:

• $91,200 for the third phase of drainage improvements in Catawba;

• $48,100 for drainage improvements on Kennedy Drive in Bethel Township; and

• $37,700 for street improvements on John Street and Williams Street in South Charleston.

The entities pay at least a 10 percent match, although that can be difficult with less funds.

“For some communities, 10 percent can be pushing it a lot of times,” Fleck said.

South Charleston village manager Josh Rice said the funding is key to street improvements because of budgetary reasons. The streets are in desperate need of repair, Rice said.

“Things are tight right now, and money is hard to come by for street projects,” Rice said. “We’re happy to receive it.”

New Carlisle was set to receive funds to help match an application for the state’s new Critical Infrastructure Grant program, but the grant application was denied. The funding would have been used for the second phase of the Prentice Drive street project.

Fleck said the department will continue to submit applications for the CIG funding in the future, and could receive up to $300,000 per year for a single project.

“It can be really useful moving forward,” Fleck said.

Fleck said the state is also encouraging counties to be creative with funding and how they seek funding.

“They’re trying to force us to find money from other sources, whether it’s private or federal grants,” Fleck said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

Woman’s long-lost engagement ring found on carrot
Woman’s long-lost engagement ring found on carrot

A Canadian woman was reunited with a long-lost engagement ring that she believed she’d never see again. Our news partners at WPTV report that Mary Grams, 84, believed that she had lost the  ring while pulling weeds in her garden in 2004. After losing the ring, she had it replaced. She received the ring in 1951 from her husband, the...
Ric Flair’s fiancee Wendy Barlow says he is still in critical condition, report says
Ric Flair’s fiancee Wendy Barlow says he is still in critical condition, report says

WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair is in critical condition at an Atlanta-area hospital and has “multiple organ problems,” according to his fiancee, Wendy Barlow. TMZ Sports reported that Barlow made a post on her personal Facebook page Wednesday saying she took Flair to the hospital Friday and that he had “severe abdominal pain...
Families of 22 killed in explosion outside Ariana Grande concert to receive $324,000
Families of 22 killed in explosion outside Ariana Grande concert to receive $324,000

Each of the families of the 22 victims killed in the Manchester, England, explosion after an Ariana Grande concert will receive £250,000, or about $324,000, from theWe Love Manchester Emergency Fund, Billboard reported  Wednesday. The organization announced the news Tuesday. CNN reported the announcement was made in a press release. &ldquo...
Arnold Schwarzenegger donates $100,000 to ‘anti-hate organization’ after Charlottesville violence
Arnold Schwarzenegger donates $100,000 to ‘anti-hate organization’ after Charlottesville violence

Arnold Schwarzenegger is putting his money where his mouth is after seeing coverage of the violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, Saturday. In a statement posted on a note on his Facebook page Sunday, the former governor of California said he had been “horrified by the images of Nazis and white supremacists...
MoviePass app lets subscribers go to the movies once a day for $10 a month
MoviePass app lets subscribers go to the movies once a day for $10 a month

Remember the days when going to the movies cost less than $10? Maybe you remember when it was less than $5. These days, a trip to the theater can cost a pretty penny. While the national average is $8.65, in many cities, like Los Angeles and New York, a ticket can cost up to or more than $15. But thanks to one app, $10 can now go a lot further...
More Stories