You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.


  • ePAPER

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.


Welcome to

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Enon plan would spend $900K for upgrades

Half of the funding arranged for downtown improvements.

The village is in the early stages of a $900,000 plan that would improve lighting and sidewalks downtown, making the area more attractive for Enon residents and businesses.

The village has arranged for about half of the funding needed for the project, which will be in the planning stages for the next two years and could begin construction as early as 2016, said Chris Lohr, village administrator for Enon. The project would involve 80 percent of the project being paid for through state and federal grants, with the remaining 20 percent being paid for by the village.

Along with improving sidewalks, the project would include new street lights, additional ramps for residents with disabilities and trees planted throughout the downtown. The Clark County-Springfield Transportation Coordinating Committee is working with the village to set aside funding and plan for the project, said Scott Schmid, transportation director for the TCC.

“This is really an effort to increase the attractiveness and the appearance of the downtown area,” Lohr said. “The street lighting is going to have an old-fashioned historic feel to it similar to what you see in some other nicer downtown areas in the state of Ohio.”

About $332,000 is available through the Transportation Alternatives Program from the U.S. Department of Transportation. The village has also set aside about $91,000 from its budget for its share of the project and will be able to pay for the improvements without raising taxes for residents, Lohr said.

Other area cities, including New Carlisle and Tipp City, have been successful with similar projects in the past, Lohr said.

Officials in New Carlisle completed a three-phase project to improve sidewalks and add streetlights just a few years ago, said Kim Jones, New Carlisle city manager. She said the city often works with its downtown businesses, and that project helped encourage more residents to visit the city to shop.

“We’re trying to make it more inviting and to encourage businesses to come downtown and encourage visitors to shop,” Jones said.

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Community News

COMMENTARY: Can Democrats save Trump from himself?

After President Donald Trump’s first legislative battle, a deplorably stingy attempt to repeal and replace President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, went down without a vote in the House, I wondered: What happened to all of the “winning”? “We are gonna win, win, win,” Trump had promised at a National Rifle Association...
COMMENTARY: Paul Ryan a convenient scapegoat for Trump’s failure

Paul Ryan did it. That’s the argument many of the louder voices on the right are shouting. In the story they tell, the speaker of the House is fully responsible for the GOP’s failure to pass an Obamacare repeal-and-replace bill last week. President Trump should walk across a Havana ballroom like Michael Corleone in “The Godfather...
Tennessee day care at which child was kidnapped closes for good
Tennessee day care at which child was kidnapped closes for good

Days after a child was kidnapped from Elite Academy Inc., the Memphis, Tennessee, day care has closed its doors for good. A Department of Human Services spokesperson said an investigation into the day care is ongoing, but the owner voluntarily shut down the business. The closure is permanent. On Thursday, 7-month-old A’Laleh Fentress was checked...
Police: Bus driver set to take kids on field trip was high on marijuana
Police: Bus driver set to take kids on field trip was high on marijuana

Authorities arrested a school bus driver Tuesday after he allegedly drove a bus while high on marijuana. Officers were called Tuesday morning to Chelmsford High School in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, after students reported smelling a strange odor on the school bus they had boarded for a field trip. The students notified a teacher, who contacted the...
Air Force Marathon sign up cost going up
Air Force Marathon sign up cost going up

Running in the Air Force Marathon will get a little more expensive soon if you haven’t signed up for one of the series of races. Registration fees will rise $10 for the full- and half-marathon and the 10K races on Tuesday, April 4, organizers say. Today, registration costs for the full marathon are $95; half-marathon, $85; and 10K, $4. The races...
More Stories