You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

breaking news

Springfield woman accused of throwing glass candle jar at boyfriend

$50K to help food bank meet soaring demand

Springfield Port Authority donation will go toward more cold storage space.


Second Harvest Food Bank of Clark, Champaign and Logan Counties might know within three weeks whether it has all of the $94,000 it needs to expand its refrigerated space and meet soaring demand.

The food bank last week learned it will receive $50,000 from the Springfield Port Authority and Cargill might provide the remaining $44,000. The Port Authority donation money likely will be viewed as a local matching donation, boosting the prospects that Cargill will donate to the effort to add more cold storage at the food bank’s distribution center, 701 E. Columbia St.

“Hopefully, between the Port Authority and Cargill, we’ll get that cooler built,” said Keith Williams, regional director of Second Harvest.

The demand for the additional cooling and freezing space is part of a shift in food bank logistics nationwide being driven by persistent and increasing demand for food.

Local Second Harvest statistics show it likely will provide more than 3 million meals again in 2013, approaching the number provided in 2009, the year the national financial crisis sent shudders through the economy.

Demand for meals dropped off by about 800,000 in 2010 but has climbed steadily since then and is expected to continue. Second Harvest national leadership has told its member food banks to be ready to give away an additional 4.5 percent of food during each of the next five years.

Jeff Miller, the food bank’s director of operations, said that kind of response less than a month after first public notice of its need to expand cooling space “was certainly more than we ever imagined.”

Catholic Charities of Southwest Ohio, which operates the food bank, is also conducting a feasibility study in anticipation of a campaign to raise $56,000 to convert the currently divided freezer/cooler at the food bank into permanent freezing space.

Jim Foreman, chairman of the port authority, said the port authority’s involvement began when he read an article in the April 9 edition of the Springfield News-Sun documenting the dramatic increase in the number of people who are getting their food from Second Harvest.

The port authority board members last week voted to approve the grant.

“I just thought (that) with all the good they do for the unfortunate in Springfield, (helping them) would be a nice thing to do,” he said.

The increased demand at food banks has led to a shift in the logistics of feeding the number of people now considered to be food insecure.

Food banks traditionally have relied on canned goods and other shelf-stable food to feed the hungry. Non-perishables not only are popular but easier and cheaper to handle.

Donations of those items have leveled off, however. And at the same time, demand has increased and grocery chains and growers have stepped forward to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to fill the gap.

Here and elsewhere, the changing landscape has overrun food banks’ cooling and freezing space. Second Harvest now stores some of its items in Dayton.

The Springfield Port Authority was founded during the administration of former Gov. Ted Strickland as a tool of economic development. Originally funded with $1.5 million from the state of Ohio, another $1.5 million allocation had been expected.

When the additional money didn’t materialize, Foreman said the port authority was advised that it wouldn’t have sufficient money to float bonds or do other financing for major development projects. When that became apparent, he said, the committee concluded: “We’ve got that money sitting there, let’s put it to good use.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

Pike County murders: 5 things to know about latest developments
Pike County murders: 5 things to know about latest developments

The case of the Pike County murders became more complex this week with investigators asking the public to focus attention on one family. Four members of that family — the Wagners — are now believed to be in Alaska, according to Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine. Here are five things to know about the latest developments in the case: MORE...
Disney fireworks: Vehicles covered in ashes, residents say
Disney fireworks: Vehicles covered in ashes, residents say

The "Happily Ever After" fireworks show happens every night at Disney’s Magic Kingdom. However, residents around the park told WFTV’s Jeff Deal that the fireworks are dropping a mess all over their cars and yards. Ashes and small pieces of card board are falling on vehicles and yards at the Windermere Cay Luxury ...
Police considering manslaughter charges in Grenfell Tower fire
Police considering manslaughter charges in Grenfell Tower fire

Police said Friday that they are considering manslaughter charges in the Grenfell Tower fire in London, adding that the blaze started in a refrigerator freezer, the BBC reported. >> Read more trending news  The police investigation is focusing on how the fire began, how it spread and who should be held responsible, Detective Chief Superintendent...
Johnny Depp: ‘When was the last time an actor assassinated a president’
Johnny Depp: ‘When was the last time an actor assassinated a president’

Johnny Depp knew his comments to his British audience were going to spark controversy, even as he said them. The actor was speaking to an audience in a British theater Thursday when he made a vague reference to John Wilkes Booth assassinating a president, The Telegraph reported. >> Read more trending news Depp was taking questions at the Cinemageddon...
Air show legend will retire solo career after next season
Air show legend will retire solo career after next season

Turning, twisting, looping and circling above the Earth, sky turned to ground and back to sky quickly. Feeling six times the force of gravity pushing down on my head, torso and legs, my body strained against the pull. I was a passenger on this flight, but air show performer Sean D. Tucker, once voted by the Smithsonian as one of 25 Living Legends in...
More Stories