Local mom unhappy with new Disney policy

Company will not allow disabled to skip to bypass ride lines.


Disneyland and Walt Disney World announced this week that persons with disabilities and their families will no longer be allowed to bypass ride lines.

The change was made in an effort to curb abuse of the policy, but it has angered some parents of children with disabilities.

Instead of jumping to the front of any line at any time, parties will now be issued a ticket for a specific ride at a scheduled time, similar to the parks’ current FastPass system available to everyone.

One local mother said she worries the schedule may dampen the Disney experience for children with disabilities and their families.

“The changes they think are going to work for them just are not going to work for a family with a special needs child,” Natalie Bushey of Xenia said Wednesday during an interview at her parents’ house in Springfield. “We can’t be told when and where to be somewhere, because I don’t know the stamina he’s going to have.”

Bushey, her husband Matt, and their 4-year-old twins Cooper and Lilly made their first trip to Disney World last year, and she gushed about the wonderful experience. Disney gave them a guest assistance pass and allowed them to go to the front of lines to meet characters and ride attractions.

“We still had to wait because most rides only have one handicap accessible vehicle,” she said. “We knew we had to go back, after seeing our kids that happy.”

Cooper has myotubular myopathy and uses a wheelchair and several breathing apparatuses.

Online fervor over abuse of line jumping at the parks began in May when the New York Post reported wealthy Manhattan moms were hiring disabled individuals to be their Disney guides in order to circumvent long lines.

Bushey said her family still plans on their second trip to Disney World next month, but she hopes the company will take into consideration that all children with disabilities have individual needs and schedules.

“I understand that Disney needed to do something,” she said. “But going to a ride and signing up and being told to come back 45 minutes later isn’t an ideal situation for somebody like Cooper.”

In a statement Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown said, “Given the increasing volume of requests we receive for special access to our attractions, we are changing our process to create a more consistent experience for all our guests while providing accommodations for guests with disabilities.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in News

Mother flees with child after carjacker tries to pull her from her car
Mother flees with child after carjacker tries to pull her from her car

A mother, fearing for her and her daughter’s life, jumped a curb while fleeing from a carjacker. The victim said she was getting gas from a Texaco station when a small red Toyota pulled onto the parking lot. Officers said the man in the red Toyota approached her truck and asked for a ride down the street. The victim said no, because she had...
Man fatally shoots AAA worker over long response time, police say
Man fatally shoots AAA worker over long response time, police say

Surveillance video recently released by police captures the moment a Miami man shot and killed a AAA contract worker in July.  Jesus Esquivel, 63, confessed to fatally shooting the man over the amount of time it took for AAA to get him assistance, the Miami Herald reports.  In a video taken across the street from his Kendall home...
Man pours coffee on controversial 'InfoWars' host Alex Jones
Man pours coffee on controversial 'InfoWars' host Alex Jones

Alex Jones, a radio host of “InfoWars” and conspiracy theorist who has alleged the Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax, took to the streets of Seattle this week. Videos on Facebook and Twitter show Jones walking around downtown and talking to people on the sidewalk about recent events surrounding President Donald Trump. Some people ignored...
Boy, 2, chokes to death on grape at grocery store
Boy, 2, chokes to death on grape at grocery store

A toddler choked to death on a grape at a grocery store after his mother was unable to perform CPR. Mother Emma Carver did not notice her son Ayyan Umar, 2, had eaten some grapes until she heard him making choking sounds last week. “I started banging on him,” mother Emma Carver told WXYZ. “But it wasn't getting it out, so it...
Family of Medway man killed on Tecumseh Road files wrongful death suit
Family of Medway man killed on Tecumseh Road files wrongful death suit

The family of a man struck and killed on Tecumseh Road nearly a year ago has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the owners of the SUV state troopers have alleged hit him. Lawrence J. Mason, 45, of Medway, allegedly was struck and killed by a silver 2015 Dodge Durango on Tuesday, Sept. 6, according to a state patrol crash report. Mason was standing...
More Stories