You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Air Force Museum cuts tours due to sequestration


Tours of historic presidential and experimental aircraft will end May 1 because of budget cuts at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, officials said Tuesday.

The cuts will sideline bus tours during the peak tourist season to the Presidential and Research and Development Galleries and a restoration hangar housing one-of-a-kind planes separated from the main museum.

The presidential hangar includes several planes used as Air Force One including the one that carried President John F. Kennedy’s body after he was assassinated in Dallas nearly 50 years ago on Nov. 22, 1963. President Lyndon Johnson was sworn in on board that aircraft. Planes used by presidents Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower are also in the gallery.

Ending the tours will save $120,000 in transportation and utility costs, part of $374,000 the museum must cut because of automatic federal budget cuts dubbed sequestration, officials said.

Museum director Jack Hudson said the tour cancellations will preserve seven-day-a-week operations at the main complex which attracts about 1.2 million visitors a year, more than half of whom visit during the summer. Of those, more than 90,000 people toured the galleries and hangars last year where the tours will end.

The museum’s annual budget is more than $14 million and is the largest free admission attraction in Ohio.

“These things ripple down to just about every organization within the Department of Defense, and we’re no different,” said Hudson, a retired Air Force lieutenant general. “These were hard decisions. Nothing was easy.”

The Air Force Museum Foundation Inc. will contribute about $42,000 to cover the cost of utilities one day a week at the main complex between May and September, officials said.

“The fact remains that the majority of the museum, still such a vast portion of it, remains open and I think that’s what’s critical,” said Jacquelyn Powell, president and CEO of the Dayton/Montgomery County Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Starting April 26, the museum will suspend once-a-week “behind the scene tours” of a restoration hangar where skilled craft workers bend sheet metal and rebuild cockpits in historic aircraft such as the B-17 Memphis Belle. The Wright-Patterson museum, which has a more than a $40 million a year economic impact, has canceled summer aerospace youth camps, suspended hiring seasonal workers, canceled a guest lecture series and has cut travel, maintenance expenses and supply purchases. The museum’s 95 civilian employees face expected 14-day furloughs starting in June.

Museum officials said tours may relaunch Oct. 1, the beginning of the next fiscal year, but that’s not a certainty. Many of the more than 500 museum volunteers lead gallery tours.

The decision to scuttle the tours, at least until Sept. 30, didn’t please visitors to the presidential gallery Tuesday.

“I think it’s nonsense,” said Bob Suchyta, 65, a Dearborn, Mich., doctor who brought his three sons. “It’s like canceling tours to the White House. … I think this is our history and it should not be hijacked because of a 2 percent (federal) budget cut.”

The federal budget faces about $85 billion in across-the-board reductions from last month to the end of September because of the sequester.

Nell Devault, 65, drove from Clarksville, Tenn., with friend T.L Brewster, 85, to see the museum where Devault pointed out the historic former Air Force One jet used by Kennedy.

She was against stopping the tours. “I think it would be a shame if they did, really and truly, because it should be open to the public,” she said.

Matt Meininger, 49, of Centerville, said the suspension of the chance to see the planes was “very disappointing.”

“It’s the crown jewel of Dayton and a very large part of our country’s history,” he said, standing between two giant presidential aircraft with his daughter. “The whole sequence of events is sad.”

That’s not the only budget gap the museum has faced. The Air Force Museum Foundation, Inc., has faced economic headwinds to privately fund the construction of a new, fourth hangar to house presidential and cargo aircraft and spacecraft, said Richard V. Reynolds, chairman of the Foundation’s Board of Managers. Fund raising has captured about $38.8 million of the projected $45.2 million price tag. Construction is planned next year and the new addition would open in 2015.

“We’ll fund raise ever harder in a very tough environment to keep building our bank accounts and so that we can get that fourth building built,” he said.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Military

Troopers find Humvee stolen from Ohio National Guard armory
Troopers find Humvee stolen from Ohio National Guard armory

A military Humvee stolen from the Ohio National Guard Armory in Stow was found Friday night in a garage at a vacant house. The Ohio State Highway Patrol said tips from the public led troopers to find the vehicle. No arrests have been made, and the theft remains under investigation, the patrol said. A military Humvee was stolen from the Ohio National...
Former Navy SEAL tells Springfield men how he found his faith
Former Navy SEAL tells Springfield men how he found his faith

A retired U.S. Navy SEAL and author said one night at church saved him from himself. Chad Williams served in that branch of the military from 2004 to 2010. He spoke in Springfield to The Gathering on Wednesday morning, saying he decided to become a SEAL to mature, make an impact and not be an “Average Joe,” despite his family’s objections...
Daily News reporter wins national award
Daily News reporter wins national award

In January 2015, Dayton Daily News reporter Barrie Barber, NewsCenter 7 anchor Cheryl McHenry and videographer Bob Garlock went on a 12,000-mile journey with a crew from the 445th Airlift Wing at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The result was a series of stories showing the challenges of performing patient care at high altitudes and the dangers endured...
Hometown Vet: Springfield native learned discipline in Army
Hometown Vet: Springfield native learned discipline in Army

Hometown Veterans is a weekly feature profiling Clark and Champaign County veterans. This week the Springfield News-Sun profiles Joseph M. Spangler. Name: Joseph M. Spangler Hometown: Springfield Current Residence: Springfield Family: Proud grandfather to three granddaughters and seven grandsons, all living in Arizona. Career After the Military: Machinist...
Springfield WWII bomber pilot honored for clean flying record
Springfield WWII bomber pilot honored for clean flying record

A Springfield World War II veteran pilot will be honored Tuesday for having one of the cleanest flying records possible. Gordon McOwen, a former B-24 bomber pilot for the U.S. Army Air Corps and Springfield native, will be presented the Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award from the Federal Aviation Administration. McOwen said he found out about the honor...
More Stories