You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

breaking news

Former President George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Houston, official says

Four school districts seek levies


Four local school districts have placed tax issues on ballot for the Aug. 6 special election in Clark and Champaign counties.

Clark-Shawnee, Tecumseh, Northeastern and West Liberty-Salem local school districts will ask voters to approve issues.

Clark-Shawnee

Clark-Shawnee has placed a 10-year, 7.95-mill levy back on the ballot in August after it failed earlier this month. The property tax would generate more than $2.49 million per year and is to avoid a deficit.

It will cost owner of a $100,000 home about $232 per year.

The district has approved cutting six faculty positions and 1.5 administrative positions. The district also will establish pay to participate for sports and extracurriculars, raise student fees, cut building budgets, eliminate one transportation route, increase class sizes and eliminate some class offerings.

If the levy passes on Aug. 6, the district will re-evaluate the cuts, possibly reversing most of them, including hiring back some of the eliminated positions.

“We understand that this is an economic issue in difficult times,” Superintendent Gregg Morris said. “We can’t continue to grow and improve if classes continue to get large and we have to cut classes.”

Tecumseh

A state takeover is looming after Tecumseh voters rejected a 12.37-mill levy earlier this month.

The district will again put the 12.37-mill property tax on the Aug. 6 ballot. The five-year property tax will generate $3.5 million annually for the district.

It will cost the owner of a $100,000 home about $378 a year.

If the state takes over the district, it will loan Tecumseh money to stay afloat but any programs that exist above the state minimum standard could be cut. If that occurs, the district would need a larger levy later on to cover the cost of the state loan, as well as operating costs for the district.

Passage of the levy would prevent a state takeover, Superintendent Brad Martin said, as well as restore high school busing and reverse an increase in latchkey costs.

“We are out of cuts,” he said. “We need the support of the community so that that the kids still have their opportunities.”

Northeastern

Northeastern is asking for a 1 percent earned income tax on currently employed residents of the district. It would generate about $4 million annually for the district.

It faces cuts in a number of positions and to high school busing if an income tax levy isn’t approved during the special election in August.

The district hasn’t passed an operating levy since 1998, and since 2010 has seen reductions of about $2.4 million in state and local revenue. In the past 13 months the district has eliminated 37 positions and cut $1.8 million from its budget. This spring the district also introduced pay to play for sports.

“A lot of districts are in the same situation, hence (that’s) why a lot of them are on the ballot,” Superintendent Lou Kramer said. “We are doing everything we can to be good stewards of community tax dollars.”

West Liberty-Salem

West Liberty-Salem is seeking a combination income tax and bond levy on the August ballot.

The combination levy includes a 0.25 percent income tax on residents for 23 years and a 27-year, 3.62-mill bond levy. The property tax will cost the owner of a $100,000 home about $231 a year.

The request will raise money for an Ohio Facilities Construction Commission project to renovate and add on to its school buildings.

About 29 percent of the cost is paid for locally, with the remaining 71 percent covered by the state. The combination levy will raise a total of $11 million to pay for that local share.

The district wants to renovate its current facilities, as well as bring certain areas, technology support and classroom size up to state standards. It also wants to add 28,000 square feet to the school to replace modular units, and add more safety and security measures to the school.

“It’s an important opportunity for our community to reinvest in the district that has given their children great educational opportunities,” Superintendent Kraig Hissong said.

A state takeover is looming after Tecumseh voters rejected a 12.37-mill levy earlier this month.

The district will again put the 12.37-mill property tax on the Aug. 6 ballot. The five-year property tax will generate $3.5 million annually for the district.

It will cost the owner of a $100,000 home about $378 a year.

If the state takes over the district, it will loan Tecumseh money to stay afloat but any programs that exist above the state minimum standard could be cut. If that occurs, the district would need a larger levy later on to cover the cost of the state loan, as well as operating costs for the district.

Passage of the levy would prevent a state takeover, Superintendent Brad Martin said, as well as restore high school busing and reverse an increase in latchkey costs.

“We are out of cuts,” he said. “We need the support of the community so that that the kids still have their opportunities.”

Northeastern

Northeastern is asking for a 1 percent earned income tax on currently employed residents of the district. It would generate about $4 million annually for the district.

It faces cuts in a number of positions and to high school busing if an income tax levy isn’t approved during the special election in August.

The district hasn’t passed an operating levy since 1998, and since 2010 has seen reductions of about $2.4 million in state and local revenue. In the past 13 months the district has eliminated 37 positions and cut $1.8 million from its budget. This spring the district also introduced pay to play for sports.

“A lot of districts are in the same situation, hence (that’s) why a lot of them are on the ballot,” Superintendent Lou Kramer said. “We are doing everything we can to be good stewards of community tax dollars.”

West Liberty-Salem

West Liberty-Salem is seeking a combination income tax and bond levy on the August ballot.

The combination levy includes a 0.25 percent income tax on residents for 23 years and a 27-year, 3.62-mill bond levy. The property tax will cost the owner of a $100,000 home about $231 a year.

The request will raise money for an Ohio Facilities Construction Commission project to renovate and add on to its school buildings.

About 29 percent of the cost is paid for locally, with the remaining 71 percent covered by the state. The combination levy will raise a total of $11 million to pay for that local share.

The district wants to renovate its current facilities, as well as bring certain areas, technology support and classroom size up to state standards. It also wants to add 28,000 square feet to the school to replace modular units, and add more safety and security measures to the school.

“It’s an important opportunity for our community to reinvest in the district that has given their children great educational opportunities,” Superintendent Kraig Hissong said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Community News

Ex-'Apprentice' contestant Summer Zervos files defamation lawsuit against Trump
Ex-'Apprentice' contestant Summer Zervos files defamation lawsuit against Trump

On Tuesday, former “Apprentice” contestant Summer Zervos held a press conference with lawyer Gloria Allred to announce that she is filing a defamation lawsuit against President-elect Donald Trump. One month before Election Day, Zervos claimed that she was subjected to “unwanted sexual touches” by Trump during a business...
Former President George H.W. Bush hospitalized
Former President George H.W. Bush hospitalized

Former President George H.W. Bush is in stable condition at a Houston hospital, KHOU reported early Wednesday. Bush's chief of staff, Jean Becker, said Bush, 92, is "doing fine" but did not say why he was hospitalized.  Bush is expected to return home "in a couple of days," according to KHOU.
No, President Obama didn't pardon Chelsea Manning; here's what he did instead
No, President Obama didn't pardon Chelsea Manning; here's what he did instead

It was announced Tuesday that President Obama commuted the sentence of famed whistleblower Chelsea Manning. And no, this is not the same as a pardon, despite the hopes of many privacy and human rights advocates. Article II, Section 2 of the United States Constitution grants Obama the executive power of clemency. With this, he can choose...
Trump’s plan to neuter the White House press corps

Tyrants don’t allow open questioning, and they hate the free press. They want total control. That’s why, according to three senior officials on the transition team, the incoming Trump administration is considering evicting the White House press corps from the press room inside the White House and moving them — and news conferences...
Guide to our inauguration coverage
Guide to our inauguration coverage

The inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president is Friday and we have all of the angles covered for you to keep up with this event as it happens. Some of our team of reporters are already in Washington getting ready for this week’s events. Our team in D.C. includes: WHIO-TV reporter Jim Otte will be talking with elected officials and getting...
More Stories