You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and interactive features. Starting at just 99c for 8 weeks.

X

Welcome to SpringfieldNewsSun.com

Your source for Clark and Champaign counties’ hometown news. All readers have free access to a limited number of stories every month.

If you are a News-Sun subscriber, please take a moment to login for unlimited access.

Ex-ER doctor gets 21 years in child sex crime case


An emergency room doctor was sentenced Wednesday to 21 years in prison after being found guilty of 13 sex-related charges involving four girls who stayed at his homes during his daughter’s sleepovers.

Wearing blue prison clothing, Dr. Keith D. Goldblum, 59, of Washington Twp. was led from the courtroom by Montgomery County Sheriff’s Deputies.

Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Michael Tucker earlier told Goldblum that he will be classified as a Tier II sex offender, meaning Goldblum must verify his address twice per year for 25 years. Goldblum was credited with 440 days of incarceration.

Given an opportunity to speak before sentencing, Goldblum declined. Testifying on his own behalf during the trial, Goldblum denied the charges.

A couple of the victims and one one of the other victim’s families had letters read to the court from a victim advocate. One said going through the court process “was the hardest thing I had to go through in my life.” Another victim’s family wrote they “couldn’t have felt safer” and that “we trusted him” leaving their child at the Goldblums’ house, but later learned he was molesting their daughter. That letter asked Tucker to impose the maximum sentence.

“He was a well-respected part of the medical community, but he has devastated everyone, including his victims, his co-workers, his family,” one victim’s mother told the Dayton Daily News. “I do believe justice has been served and I believe everyone can start the healing process and not be worried that he can hurt them again.”

Goldblum, who will have his medical license suspended, was found guilty of eight counts of rape of children younger than 13, two counts of voyeurism and two counts of unlawful sexual conduct and one count of attempted voyeurism. Two of the rape sentences and one of the voyeurism charges were to be served consecutively, with all other sentences running concurrently.

Efforts to reach Goldblum’s attorney, Jose Lopez, were unsuccessful. Lopez and co-counsel Lorin Zaner have 30 days to file an appeal.

Prosecutors, who were seeking 36 years according to court documents obtained by the Dayton Daily News, said Tucker’s range of possible sentences ranged from three years to more than 80.

“He will be in prison, most likely, for the rest of his life,” Prosecutor Erin Claypoole said. “This has significantly changed these girls’ lives. It’s been a long process for them.”

Last month, a jury of eight men and four women deliberated for nearly 15 hours over three days before finding Goldblum guilty. That wrapped up a two-week trial that included many witnesses on both sides, including the four now-teen girls who were listed as victims in the indictment.

All four testified that during sleepovers from 2002 to 2011, Goldblum took down their covers, and, in some cases, tried to or did loosen clothing to look at them. Two girls said Goldblum touched them.

“It’s the end of something and the beginning of another,” one victim said. “He got what he deserved.”

None of the four victims in the indictment were patients of Goldblum’s at Good Samaritan Hospital and none were Goldblum’s daughters.

“It’s never too early to protect our children and report child abuse,” Montgomery County Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr. said in a press release. “If you believe there is child abuse occurring, have the courage to report it.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in News

Security changes coming to Magic Kingdom
Security changes coming to Magic Kingdom

Security changes coming to Disney’s Magic Kingdom may affect how long guests spend in the security line. The theme park is moving the lines to outside the transportation and ticket center, where guests will be screened as soon as they get off the tram coming from the parking lot. Security barricades are already in the ground and tents are up...
New study shows no long-term cognitive benefits to breast-feeding
New study shows no long-term cognitive benefits to breast-feeding

A new study shows there are no long-term benefits to breast-feeding. The study, which was published in the journal Pediatrics says after age 5, there are no cognitive differences between children who were breast-fed and those who were not. Advocates of breast-feeding say it’s the short-term benefits that are important. For instance, Rae Summerbell...
Nicki Minaj signs modeling contract with Wilhelmina 
Nicki Minaj signs modeling contract with Wilhelmina 

Nicki Minaj can add “model” to her list of jobs. Vogue reported that the rapper, actress, songwriter and mobile video game creator has signed a modeling contract with Wilhelmina Models, a talent and model management agency. Specifically, Minaj will join Wilhelmina’s celebrity division and will work with the agency on campaigns...
82-year-old dancer fulfills dream of getting back out on the dance floor
82-year-old dancer fulfills dream of getting back out on the dance floor

When Joyce Dixson is moving to the music, she finds joy. “She’s always danced. She taught me how to dance in the middle of our living room,” her daughter, Kathy Robinson told WSB-TV’s People to People. Joyce, now 82, was a military wife and often joined her husband at a club on the military base. “Every Saturday night...
Hartman: Charlie Sheen tweets that Reds ‘Rookie’ is a winner
Hartman: Charlie Sheen tweets that Reds ‘Rookie’ is a winner

If you haven’t heard of Rookie Davis yet, we’ll just have to let Cincinnati Reds fanatic Charlie Sheen introduce you. Not long before Sheen’s tweet, Davis shared that he was excited to tell his family he would be breaking camp with the Reds after spending the spring in a battle with several youngsters for a spot in the roster. Davis...
More Stories