A former Springfield Twp. firefighter has pleaded not guilty to 16 additional counts related to alleged sexual misconduct with cadets from the fire department.
Johnathon Monroe, 25, now faces 25 counts in all: four counts of rape, three counts of gross sexual imposition, seven counts of sexual battery, six counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and five counts of compelling prostitution. The alleged victims were part of the township’s cadet program.
Clark County Common Pleas Judge Richard O’Neil continued Monroe’s $100,000 bond at his arraignment Thursday and he remains in the Clark County Jail.
Monroe was accused of sexually assaulting four victims in the Springfield Twp. Fire Department’s cadet program, where he served as the training instructor. A police affidavit says Monroe went to the Springfield Police Division unprompted and tearfully admitted to the crimes.
“Monroe was very tearful,” Detective Sandra Fent says in the court records. “During the interview, Monroe stated that he had access to these children through the cadet program with the Springfield Twp. Fire Department.”
Monroe resigned from his position after the alleged confession, Springfield Twp. officials said.
Clark County Prosecutor Andy Wilson said the case is important to his office.
“This case is absolutely a priority,” Clark County Prosecutor Andy Wilson said. “This is a very serious case. And we need to make sure that we prosecute him to the fullest.”
Wilson said there are no new children involved in the new charges. Instead, he said his office put off filing the new charges because they hoped to complete a plea deal with Monroe last month. The deal would have sent Monroe to prison on a 10 years-to-life sentence. However, during a court appearance, Monroe declined a plea deal and, therefore, the new charges were filed.
Monroe’s attorney, Regina Richards, said at the time her client rejected a proposed deal because Monroe hadn’t been evaluated by a mental health expert for competency related to the alleged confession.