Photojournalist, 5 others acquitted in inauguration riot trial


Texas photojournalist Alexei Wood and five others were acquitted of all charges Thursday in a closely-watched trial of protesters accused of rioting, conspiracy and destroying property on Inauguration Day.

>> Read more trending news

The case was, to many observers, a test of the First Amendment, especially for Wood, who livestreamed the protest and march through 16 city blocks and even taped himself being pepper-sprayed and then arrested.

“There was just elation at the defense table,” said Brett Cohen, Wood’s court-appointed attorney. “I had delight in Wood’s reaction; it made me really happy. I think it’s a valid verdict. My client had no intent to riot.”

The trial began Nov. 15 with the jury beginning deliberations last Friday.

Wood and the other defendants had been facing as many as 50 years in prison.

“(Expletive) them so hard. And you can quote me,” Wood told the American-Statesman.

The District of Columbia jury rejected the prosecution’s argument that the actions of a few breaking windows and destroying property made other protesters nearby complicit as they “re-absorbed” the lawbreakers as part of a large protest of President Donald Trump’s inauguration.

“The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia believes that the evidence shows that a riot occurred on January 20, 2017, during which numerous public and private properties were damaged or destroyed,” said spokesman Bill Miller. “This destruction impacted many who live and work in the District of Columbia, and created a danger for all who were nearby. … We appreciate the jury’s close examination of the individual conduct and intent of each defendant during this trial and respect its verdict. In the remaining pending cases, we look forward to the same rigorous review for each defendant.”

There are nearly 200 more defendants in the case — including another Texas native, journalist Aaron Cantu — scheduled for trials over the next year.

Most of the protesters wore black and covered their faces although Wood, who can be seen in his video, did not. However, prosecutors highlighted Wood’s commentary during the video, which seemed to be shouts of approval and which the government said amounted to encouraging the destruction of property.

Cohen said that when he and other attorneys spoke with the jury privately after the verdicts were announced, several jurors said Wood’s case was the toughest for them to decide.

“It was a tough case and I am thrilled for Alexei who had no intent to commit any crimes,” said Cohen.

Wood lives in San Antonio but packed up his belongings and has been staying in Washington to be in the courtroom during the trial.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Crime

Springfield man sues police officers claiming civil rights violations
Springfield man sues police officers claiming civil rights violations

A Springfield man has sued three Springfield Police Division officers, alleging they violated his civil rights, assaulted him and failed to provide adequate medical care. City Law Director Jerry Strozdas said his initial review of the case doesn’t indicate any misconduct on the part of the officers. DETAILS: 2 arrested in armed robbery at Springfield...
Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court
Parents accused of holding their 13 children captive appear in court

David and Louise Turpin are facing a string of charges, including torture, after police say the couple kept their 13 children locked away in subhuman conditions in their Perris, California, home. On Thursday, the Turpins made their first court appearance. David Turpin appeared in chains, wearing a lavender shirt and black jacket while his wife...
2 rape trials scheduled to start in Greene County on Monday
2 rape trials scheduled to start in Greene County on Monday

Two separate rape trials are set to begin Monday in Judge Stephen Wolaver’s courtroom in Greene County Common Pleas Court. Myron Marquice Walker, 20, is charged with rape and gross sexual imposition and has been held in the Greene County Jail since his arrest in October. A grand jury indicted Walker on the charges on Oct. 20, and Walker pleaded...
Deployed troops unable to watch NFL playoffs due to government shutdown
Deployed troops unable to watch NFL playoffs due to government shutdown

As a result of lawmakers failing to resolve a standoff over immigration and spending, the United States government has been shut down indefinitely – meaning everyone has been affected, including troops overseas. There is a lot of fallout from the shutdown. From government employees who aren't being paid, including the Defense Department...
Lanes reopen after two-vehicle crash on I-70 in Clark County
Lanes reopen after two-vehicle crash on I-70 in Clark County

UPDATE @ 8 a.m: Lanes have reopened on westbound I-70 near the 48 milemarker after a two-vehicle crash occurred early Sunday morning, according to OHSP. Two lanes are blocked on westbound I-70 near the 48 milemarker after a two-vehicle accident early Sunday morning.  The Ohio Highway State Patrol-Springfield Post, responded to the crash around...
More Stories