When he was found, the infant boy was wet and so cold that his face was purple.
Maintenance worker Carlos Michel discovered the baby after hearing noises coming from a large garbage dumpster.
"I almost had a heart attack," he said. The Houston Chronicle reports Michel climbed onto a bucket, so he could look into the trash.
He saw the child inside a trash bag, upside down, near old homework and tossed out food.
"He was cold. Maybe hours old," Michel told MyFox Houston. Carlos grabbed the baby and wrapped him in a shirt, then put him in his truck in an effort to warm him up.
The boy never opened his eyes as medics took him to the hospital.
Once there, doctors were able to save the little one who will now be placed in the custody of Child-Protective Services. Houston police then found the mother, a 16-year-old who confessed to placing the child in the trash. The girl was taken to a hospital to be checked out . There was no immediate decision on possible charges.
- Family says it found dead rat inside birthday cake
- Couple accused of caring more about play than hospitalized son speak out
- Why some people remember dreams and others don't
- Facebook changes policy for profiles of deceased users
- Photos show dramatic roadside CPR rescue of infant