City: Progress made on Widener building, but more work remains


Demolition on part of a downtown Xenia building owned by Ohio Sen. Chris Widener has been completed, but city officials say more work needs to be done.

The city banned occupancy in the former J.C. Penney building, 45 East Main Street, after inspecting the outside of the structure on Jan. 10 and determining it was unsafe, according to emails, letters sent to Widener and inspection reports obtained by the Dayton Daily News. Signs and barriers were placed around the building. The city blocked off an area to the rear of the building as a safety zone.

Demolition on the back of the building has been completed, but repairs on the structure are in progress, according to city officials.

“Basically the demolition was to take out the outer section of the wall,” said Brian Forschner, the Xenia city planner. “That was the most immediate threat; the part that was bowing outward.”

Scaffolding, caution tape and orange safety cones remain around the building while additional work, such as restoring a wall, is waiting to be finished.

“Part of that likely is due to weather because we’ve had subzero temperatures,” Forschner said. “That complicates the process of getting masonry to set.”

Widener did not return phone calls or respond to an email from the Dayton Daily News seeking comment.

The inspection is one of a series of checks conducted by the city during the fall last year to reduce the number of deteriorating and unsafe buildings and revitalize the city.

Widener’s building is one of 59 buildings in downtown Xenia that were inspected during 2013. Nine had violations, according to city documents, but the building owned by Widener is the only one that required “immediate safety measures,” according to the city manager’s office.

About a week later, Widener, the second- highest ranking Republican in the Ohio Senate, reached an agreement with the city after an hour-long meeting with Xenia city officials.

Xenia Fire Chief Ken Riggsby said an inspection of the interior of the building has not been scheduled to allow Widener a chance to have some work inside the building completed first.

“The priority was on the exterior of the building, at the time, to make sure the safety around the structure was OK,” Riggsby said.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in News

Mother flees with child after carjacker tries to pull her from her car
Mother flees with child after carjacker tries to pull her from her car

A mother, fearing for her and her daughter’s life, jumped a curb while fleeing from a carjacker. The victim said she was getting gas from a Texaco station when a small red Toyota pulled onto the parking lot. Officers said the man in the red Toyota approached her truck and asked for a ride down the street. The victim said no, because she had...
Man fatally shoots AAA worker over long response time, police say
Man fatally shoots AAA worker over long response time, police say

Surveillance video recently released by police captures the moment a Miami man shot and killed a AAA contract worker in July.  Jesus Esquivel, 63, confessed to fatally shooting the man over the amount of time it took for AAA to get him assistance, the Miami Herald reports.  In a video taken across the street from his Kendall home...
Man pours coffee on controversial 'InfoWars' host Alex Jones
Man pours coffee on controversial 'InfoWars' host Alex Jones

Alex Jones, a radio host of “InfoWars” and conspiracy theorist who has alleged the Sandy Hook school shooting was a hoax, took to the streets of Seattle this week. Videos on Facebook and Twitter show Jones walking around downtown and talking to people on the sidewalk about recent events surrounding President Donald Trump. Some people ignored...
Boy, 2, chokes to death on grape at grocery store
Boy, 2, chokes to death on grape at grocery store

A toddler choked to death on a grape at a grocery store after his mother was unable to perform CPR. Mother Emma Carver did not notice her son Ayyan Umar, 2, had eaten some grapes until she heard him making choking sounds last week. “I started banging on him,” mother Emma Carver told WXYZ. “But it wasn't getting it out, so it...
Family of Medway man killed on Tecumseh Road files wrongful death suit
Family of Medway man killed on Tecumseh Road files wrongful death suit

The family of a man struck and killed on Tecumseh Road nearly a year ago has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the owners of the SUV state troopers have alleged hit him. Lawrence J. Mason, 45, of Medway, allegedly was struck and killed by a silver 2015 Dodge Durango on Tuesday, Sept. 6, according to a state patrol crash report. Mason was standing...
More Stories