Artichokes are a yummy vegetable to enjoy this time of year, but have you ever thought of using them for your centerpiece? This week’s do-it-yourself is simple to do, and each votive only costs you $2.99 to make.
Items I purchased:
• 3 fresh artichokes — $1.99 each at Kroger
• 3 votive candles — $1 each at Dollar Tree
Items I already had:
• Kitchen knife
• Cutting board
1. Use your knife and cut the stem off your artichoke so that the artichoke sits upright on its own. You want it to be as level as possible so your candle won’t be uneven inside.
2. Lay the artichoke on its side and cut off a little bit of the top so that the center leaves are revealed.
3. Use your hands and remove the center portion of the artichoke. Be careful because some of the leaves can be sharp on the ends. You will want to remove enough of the center to snugly fit your votive.
4. Place your votive candle into the center of the artichoke so that the top of the candle is level with the top of your artichoke.
5. Light your candle and enjoy.