At the beginning of every year, we all seek ways to improve our lives — whether it’s our health, our minds or our homes. Instead of swearing to clear closet clutter this year (a noble but challenging feat), bring more pizzazz, comfort and happiness to your space with these five design resolutions.
1. Follow your heart, not trends. It’s fun to keep track of what is current in the design world, but when it comes to your own home, remember you are the trendsetter! Just because Radiant Orchid is one forecaster’s Color of the Year doesn’t mean you should shun your favorites hues.
2. Have something made just for you (and your house). Vow to personalize your space and enhance your home’s decor with something one-of-a-kind, such as a commissioned family portrait or a custom buffet table.
3. Set your table at every meal. Even for those takeout nights, commit to setting out real glasses, plates, silverware and cloth napkins, along with flowers or a tablecloth. The setup doesn’t need to be fancy!
4. Buy less but buy better quality. It’s not always possible to buy the things we have our hearts set on, but we can avoid furniture that will quickly fall apart. When you find a special piece, keep a picture of it on the fridge to remind yourself to save up for what you really want.
5. Give your front door a facelift. Your front door contributes a lot to your home’s first impression, so reconsider its status. Could it use new hardware?A fresh color? Even the addition of a new accessory, like a stately door knocker or modern house numbers, will do wonders.
Visit Houzz.com for more home-related New Year’s resolutions.