I am a big fan of nature and am inspired by that beauty that it holds. This week’s do-it-yourself project reflects some inspiration.
This project is simple, easy-to-do and can add a natural feeling to your space.
For just $9.23 you can have a beautiful and artistic piece to grace the walls in your home.
Supplies you will need
Items I purchased:
• Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda — $3.24 at Walmart
• Floating Glass Frame — $5.99 at Walmart
Items I already had:
• Maple leaves
• Paper towels
• Shallow baking dish
• Measuring cups
1. Gather your leaves. I found that maple leaves worked the best, but you can gather a variety of leaves and test which ones you prefer. Some thicker leaves may need more cook time to get the same effect.
2. Grab your washing soda. Note, this is different than baking soda and can be found in the laundry aisle of certain stores. Take ¾ cup of your washing soda and four cups of water and add them to your pot on the stove. Place your leaves in this mixture as well.
3. Let your water boil and then lower the temperature to a simmer. You will cook your leaves in this mixture for at least two hours. Don’t worry, they will start to look dark and limp, that is what we want. Keep monitoring your pot during these two hours. Add water if needed so that the leaves are covered. Your washing soda will crystalize on top.
4. Once your two hours is up, use your spatula and very carefully remove a leaf from your pot. Place it in a shallow baking dish with cold water.
5. Once in the dish, make sure that the leaf is flat and not folded over itself. Take your paintbrush and start to gently rub it over the leaf. You will begin to see the green in the leaf wipe away. Do this process to the entire leaf or until you are happy with the appearance. You want to display the veins of the leave.
6. When you are happy with the look of your leaf, carefully remove it from the water and place it on some paper towels. Place a few paper towels on top of it and pat dry.
7. Use a floating frame to display your leaf. Place the completed leaf in the frame and bring that little bit of nature right into your home.