The smell of lavender can be therapeutic and can relieve the stresses of your daily routine. This week’s DIY will allow you to create lavender sachets that can be placed in your dresser drawers, in your car or even in your purse. For just $9 you can make multiple sachets and if you are anything like me the idea of using Stitch Witchery instead of having to sew is a bonus!
Items I purchased:
• ¼ yard decorative burlap, $2.50 at JoAnn Fabric and Craft Store
• Stitch Witchery, $3.50 at JoAnn Fabric and Craft Store
• Dried lavender, $3 at Health Foods Unlimited
Items I already had:
• Wet washcloth
1. Cut out two squares of burlap. You will want these to be about four-inch squares. Don’t worry about them fraying or being uneven right now, we will fix this in a later step.
2. Place one piece of burlap down with the backside facing up. Use your Stitch Witchery and place a strip on three of the four sides. This doesn’t have to be right on the edge, but instead can be about a ¼-inch from the edge.
3. Place the other piece of burlap, decorative side up, on top of the Stitch Witchery so that all three of the strips are completely covered.
4. Using a damp washcloth, cover the entire sachet with the towel. Set your iron to its highest temperature setting. Place the iron on top of the towel and let it sit for about 10 seconds. The damp towel will protect the cloth and burlap from burning, but the Stitch Witchery will adhere to the burlap and be as strong as if it were sewn.
5. Use your spoon and fill the pouch with the dried lavender. Leave enough room to seal the fourth side.
6. Cut one last strip of Stitch Witchery and place it between the two pieces of burlap.
7. Cover this last strip with the damp towel and place the iron over it to secure it in place.
8. Once all sides are secure and the sachet is filled, you will be able to use it in your home, car or office.
• Make three or five or these, wrap a ribbon around them and give them as a house warming gift.
• If you can’t find dried lavender, you can also use uncooked rice. Just take the rice, add a little lavender essential oil and mix thoroughly. Add the rice to your sachet instead of the dried lavender.