If you are like me, then you love decorating for holidays.
This week’s do-it-yourself project is simple and can be done on a small or large scale. For just $5.96 you can create a unique piece that brings the feeling of Valentine’s Day to your decor.
You will need
Items I purchased:
• 12-inch-by-12-inch piece of wood — $1.50 at Michaels, the arts and crafts chain
• Red string — $2.99 at Michaels
• Nails — 97 cents at Walmart
• Poster board - $0.50 at Dollar Tree
Items I already had:
• Pencil or pen
1. Trace the outline of your wood board onto a piece of poster board.
2. Cut out the piece of poster board and fold it in half. You will want to make a heart on this that can be cut out.
3. Once your heart is cut out, use the leftover poster board as a stencil that you can tape to the board.
4. Starting at the top point of the heart, hammer a nail into the wood. Make sure it doesn’t go through the back of your wood board, but is secure and in place.
5. Continue to go around the board using the heart stencil as your guidelines. You will want your nails to be placed about 1 inch apart.
6. Once your nails are in place take your red string and double knot it to the bottom nail. Leave a tail on your knot that is about 2 inches long.
7. Begin to randomly wrap your string around the other nails making sure to keep it inside the shape of the heart.
8. As you begin filling in the center of your heart, you may want to push the string down to the base of the nails so they don’t all collect at the top. This will also give your more depth to your heart.
9. Continue placing the string until you are happy with the design.
10. Once you have placed your string, cut it from the spool and you will tie this end to the tail of the starting knot. Make this a double knot to secure it in place and remove the tails from the two ends.
11. Once you have secured your ends, you are ready to display your heart!