If you prepare a family Easter dinner, then there is a chance you may be using quite a few eggs for the meal. Rather than cracking your eggs and discarding your shells, you can reuse your shells for a fun and memorable candy holder for your Easter baskets.
For just $3.99 you can do a dozen eggs and fill them with goodies for your children.
You will need
Items I purchased:
• Dozen eggs — 99 cents at your local grocery store
• Tissue paper — $1 at Dollar Tree
• Jelly beans — $2 at Kroger
Items I already had:
• Foam brush
• Wooden skewers
• Plastic cup
• Mod Podge
1. Use the sharp end of your wooden skewer and poke a hole into the larger end of your egg. Once you break through, make the hole large enough to fill with candy and treats.
2. Discard the shell and empty the contents of your egg into a bowl. This will leave you with an empty shell with a small hole at one end. Do this same process for the rest of your eggs and save the inside portions for your breakfasts or other meal planning options.
3. Take a plastic cup and fill it about ¼ of the way full with water. This will weigh your cup down. Take each egg and carefully fill them with water until they are fully cleaned. Place the blunt end of a wooden skewer into the hole of the egg and let your eggs dry completely.
4. Take your tissue paper and cut it into 1-inch squares.
5. Use your Mod Podge and begin to glue the tissue paper to the outside of the egg shell. Overlap your paper and continue around your egg until it is completely covered, with the exception of the hole. Let this dry completely.
6. Once dry, fill your eggs with the jelly beans. In a general jumbo egg, you can fit about 30 jelly beans.
7. Once full, place a little bit of Mod Podge around the edge of the hole. Place the squares of tissue paper around the hole and then place one on top so that the hole is completely covered. Add Mod Podge on top to secure everything in place.
8. Let these eggs dry completely and then place them into your Easter basket. To open, children can crack them open like a normal egg and find their sweet treats.