As children get on with their summer vacation, parents are inevitably going to hear the words “I’m bored.” With this week’s do-it-yourself project, parents and adult supervisors can get minimize whining from boredom and keep children entertained all summer long.
Items I purchased:
• One 8 ½ x 11 full sheet label - $12.79 for a box of 10 sheets at Office Depot
• Colored craft sticks - $1 at Dollar Tree
Items I already had:
• Mason jar
• Fine point sharpie marker or pen
1. Use your pen and write one activity per stick that is appropriate for your child to do. For example, you can have them “read a book” or “play hide and seek with your sister.” Come up with a variety of activities that can be done in groups or individually. You can also include a few chores in the mix such as “clean under your bed” or “collect your dirty clothes.”
2. Place all of the sticks into the jar. Make sure the words are facing inward so they can’t just see and select a specific task.
3. Print out a label on your computer that says “Bored Jar.” Cut out the label and stick it onto the front of the jar. If you would like a template of the label I used for my jar, then send an email to me at SaverSavvySavings@gmail.com. You can also cut out the dots on the template and decorate around your bottle, as well.
4. Decorate the jar by typing a ribbon around the neck of the bottle. You could also cover the top with a fun fabric for more variety.
5. Now, whenever your child starts whining that he or she is bored, have them go to the jar and pick out an activity to do. This will keep them entertained, and they can never complain again that there is nothing to do.