The sport of wrestling goes back thousands of years.
However the WWE, the media savvy brand we know today, has only existed in the United States since the early 1950s. It since has grown into a multimillion dollar industry that will bring its superstars to the Miami Valley next week.
The mighty World Wrestling Entertainment is involved in virtually every aspect of the sport from numerous primetime television programs and live events to a wide array of merchandise such as video games, comic books, CDs, shirts, mugs and collectible figures.
One of its biggest properties is the Raw Supershow, which airs from 8 to 11 p.m. each Monday on the USA Network.
The traveling showcase will be presented live at the Nutter Center in Fairborn at 7:30 p.m. Monday. John Cena, CM Punk, Randy Orton, Alberto Del Rio are just some of the pro wrestling superstars on the card that evening. Please note: Wrestlers are subject to change.
Here’s a short quiz to test your wrestling knowledge.
1. In 1963, the first champion was crowned in the league that is now known as World Wrestling Entertainment. What was his name?
A) Antonio Rocca
B) Miguel Perez
C) Ivan Koloff
D) Buddy Rogers
2. What third generation promoter is credited with making professional wrestling the multimedia success it is today?
A) Mac V. Kennedy
B) Vincent Kennedy McMahon Jr.
C) Walter Vincent III
D) Walter J. Peterson
3. The WWE Raw Supershow has been broadcast from more than 200 different arenas in nearly a dozen countries since it debuted in what year?
4. Which wrestler has not won a WWE World Heavyweight Championship title?
A) Rowdy Roddy Piper
B) Iron Sheik
C) Bruno Sammartino
D) Sgt. Slaughter
5. What female wrestler won the first WWE Diva Championship in July 2008?
A) Chynna Doll
C) Michelle McCool
D) Mickie James
6. What year did Andre the Giant win his lone WWE Championship title?
7. Which former professional athlete is not in the WWE Hall of Fame?
A) Shaquille O’Neal
B) Pete Rose
C) Mike Tyson
D) William “Refrigerator” Perry
8. On Dec. 15, 2013, WWE Champion Randy Orton defeated what World Heavyweight Champion?
A) Rey Mysterio
B) Daniel Bryan
C) John Cena
D) Alberto Del Rio
9. Which of the following is not a WWE brand?
D) Xtreme Overdrive
10. In early January, the WWE announced in will be launching what new venture on Feb. 24, 2014?
A) Las Vegas Casino
B) Television Network
D) WWE Currency
Answer key: 1D, 2B, 3D, 4A, 5C, 6B, 7A, 8C, 9D, 10B
10 correct answers: Heavyweight champion
7-9 correct answers: Rabid follower
6-3 correct answers: Casual fan
2-0 correct answers: Wrestling hater
How to go
What: WWE presents its Raw Supershow, featuring superstars John Cena, CM Punk, Randy Orton, Alberto Del Rio and others. Please note: Wrestlers are subject to change.
Where: The Nutter Center, 3640 Colonel Glenn Highway, Fairborn
When: 7:30 p.m. Monday
More info: 937-775-4789 or www.nuttercenter.com