The food truck revolution is expected to hit Springfield in a big way.
Thirty-five trucks have been selected to battle it out in the Springfield Rotary Club’s Gourmet Food Truck Competition (See list below of food trucks participating).
Fred Bartenstein, an event organizer, says there is a waiting list of other food trucks interested in participating in the Aug. 16 contest that carries a $10,000 top prize.
Trucks hail from Springfield and surrounding areas — Dayton, Columbus and Cincinnati.
There are also trucks from Kentucky and Indiana. A crab-cake truck from Maryland is among those on that waiting list.
“The food trucks are excited,” Bartenstein said. “It it will be fun.”
The event has been moved from its original location at the Clark State Performing Arts Center. The event now will take place from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Aug. 16 at Veteran’s Park (formerly Cliff Park), 250 Cliff Park Road.
Admission is free, and there will be a beer garden and music.
Each truck that competes will receive a $500 stipend and keep 100 percent of food-sale profits.
Bartenstein said the event is being organized to create excitement in the city’s center.
“The food truck phenomenon has not taken off in Springfield,” he said. “There is excitement about having something in Springfield (people) have heard about and never seen before.”
I will be among five food judges.
Roaming judges will evaluate menus, food-truck design and customer service.
The event will be held on Wittenberg University’s “move-in day” and is expected to attract 5,000 to 10,o00 food lovers.
“I think it has a chance to be a regional draw,” Bartenstein said.
PARTICIPATING FOOD TRUCKS
The following food trucks are among those selected to compete in the Springfield Rotary Club’s Gourmet Food Truck Competition. Click here for more information.
- Swoop!, Columbus
- Streetpops, Cincinnati
- Kinetic, Columbus
- Jam Pan Mobile Jamaican Jerk Centre, Louisville
- Empanadas Aqui, Cincinnati
- Catch a Fire Pizza, Cincinnati
- Big Ron’s Bistro, Speedway, Ind.
- Bistro de Mohr, Urbana
- Sugar Snap! Cincinnati
- C’est Cheese, Dayton
- East Coast Eatz, West Chester
- Mobile Cold Stone Creamery, Dayton
- Marty’s Waffles, Alexandria, Kentucky
- Zombie Dogz, Dayton
- Urban Grill Food Truck, Cincinnati
- Tortilla Street Food, Reynoldsburg
- Ramen Rickshaw, Springfield
- Mojo Tago, Columbus
- Hunger Paynes Food Truck, Dayton
- Fire Pie Catering, Tipp City
- That Food Truck, Columbus
- PA’s Pork, St. Paris
- Mac Genie, Indianapolis
- Go Cupcake, Dayton
- Challah, Columbus
- Big E’s Southern “Q,” Columbus
- Aahar India, Yellow Springs
- Explorers Club, Columbus
- Vinnie’s Gourmet Pretzels, Cincinnati
- La Pampa, Yellow Springs
- Teodora’s Kitchen, Columbus
- Harvest Mobile Cuisine, Spring Valley
- Pitabilities, Columbus