Painting your home can be a time-consuming and challenging task to take on. So, many home owners turn to a professional to get the job done quickly and neatly. Your Better Business Bureau offers some advice for great results.
In 2012, more than 1,600 complaints and about 860,000 inquiries were recorded about painting contractors with your BBB nationally. In fact, last year, your BBB saw more than 7,500 inquiries regarding this industry locally.
Your BBB advises homeowners take their time to choose painting contractors they can trust. Whether you’re looking to paint the inside or outside of your home, paint trim or do minor touch-ups, your BBB recommends a few tips for finding a trustworthy painter.
• Consider a painting contractor’s reputation and years of service.
• Shop around and get several quotes. Don’t settle for the lowest bid.
• Check with family and friends. If they’re happy with a company they used, most likely you’ll be too. You can also check with a local painting store for recommendations.
• Ask if the painting contractor belongs to any professional organizations like the Painting and Decorating Contractors of America (PDCA).
• Get a written contract, which details the work to be completed, including paint brands and colors, number of coats, who’s responsible for cleanup, payment schedule and the start and completion dates. Don’t sign anything until all blanks are completed. And, make sure warranties, guarantees and verbal promises are included.
• Be wary of a scammer posing as a painting contractor coming to your door uninvited. He or she may claim to have extra paint and materials from a previous job and can do your home for a discounted price.
• Never pay up front. A legitimate, trustworthy company won’t do business that way.
• Make sure the company is insured. If the painting contractor isn’t insured, you may be liable for any accidents that occur.
• Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to inquire about something if you don’t understand.
Remember, if you have any questions regarding painting contractors, get help from your BBB, such as a list of more than 100 local BBB Accredited painting contractors and reviews on ones you’re considering. Visit www.bbb.org or call (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.