As the Miami Valley thaws out from an especially harsh winter, many homeowners are preparing their lawn for spring and summer. Some homeowners may turn to a professional to weed through problems with their lawn. Your Better Business Bureau offers tips for finding a reputable lawn care company.
This winter brought near record snowfall. According to the National Weather Service in Wilmington, the Dayton region received the third most snow on record with more than 50 inches. With all the recent snow cover, many lawns will need more attention than usual dealing with such things as snow mold. Snow mold occurs when grass is at a longer length and snow has stayed on it for an extended period of time.
Over the last year, your BBB recorded more than 9,800 inquiries locally (22 percent increase from previous year) and less than a hundred complaints about lawn care companies because people were doing their homework and checking with your BBB first. Throughout the U.S. and Canada, your BBB received more than 625,000 inquiries and almost 3,500 complaints about this industry.
As you prepare for spring, your BBB offers tips for selecting a trustworthy lawn care company:
• Determine what kind of services you want performed, such as mowing, trimming, seeding or aeration. Find out what best fits your budget.
• Get your lawn inspected and get three estimates.
• Make sure you get references. Check with family and friends. If they’re happy with who they use, most likely you’ll be too.
• Ask about professional affiliations, which keep businesses informed of new developments, safety, training and regulations.
• Determine if the company has proper licensing and insurance.
• Find out if the company will contact you by phone or mail stating additional services will be performed on your lawn unless you call to cancel.
• Determine if the company offers annual or seasonal contracts and compare those costs with per application costs.
• Get a written contract with all details, including price, services, guarantees and warranties. Make sure you understand everything before signing.
• Look for guarantees and refund policies.
If you have any questions regarding lawn care companies, you can always get help from your BBB, such as a list of BBB Accredited lawn care companies and business reviews on ones you’re considering. Visit www.bbb.org or call (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.