Daylight saving time began today, and that means spring is around the corner. Springtime is a great time for many people to start thinking about projects to get done around the house, such as cleaning your carpets. Your Better Business Bureau says be skeptical about who you hire for that job, so you don’t get swept under the rug.
BBBs across North America received nearly 2,000 complaints about carpet and rug cleaners in 2012, a 20 percent increase over 2011. Your BBB also received more than 502,000 inquiries about companies in the industry last year, a 17 percent increase over 2011.
Your Better Business Bureau offers these carpet cleaning tips:
• Get several quotes. Don’t settle for the lowest bid. It may not be the highest quality service.
• Ask family and friends to recommend a carpet cleaning company. If they’re pleased with the company, you’ll likely be too.
• Ask if they pretreat spots and heavily soiled areas. Also, inquire if there is an extra charge for spot cleaning.
• Find out if the workers will move furniture and is there a service fee for doing so.
• Get everything in writing and ask if the company guarantees their work.
• Determine if the carpet cleaning company is bonded and insured or has Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).
• Find out what cleaning agent will be used, how long it will take carpets to dry and if fumes will be a problem for seniors, kids, pets or people with allergies.
• Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Remember, once you select a carpet cleaner, schedule your appointment and make sure you prepare your rooms to be cleaned. Move any fragile items, such as pictures, vases or knick-knacks from the room. Also, consider taking items, such as baskets, toys or small objects sitting on the floor, out of the room to make it easier to clean.
If you have any questions regarding carpet cleaning companies, you can always get help from your BBB, like a list of BBB Accredited carpet cleaning businesses and business reviews on ones you’re considering. Contact your BBB by visiting www.bbb.org or calling (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.