Pro Football Hall of Fame wide receiver Paul Warfield will be among the sports stars at Urbana Country Club on July 21 for the Legends Golf Classic.
The event starts at 1 p.m. and benefits the United Way of Clark, Champaign and Madison counties.
Warfield was an All-Big Ten running back at Ohio State. The Browns drafted him in 1964, and he helped lead them to the NFL championship that season. He later played for the Miami Dolphins and was part of their undefeated championship team in 1972. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1983.
»RELATED: Browns to host 2021 NFL Draft
Other legends expected to attend include:
• Ohio State football great/former big-league pitcher Galen Cisco.
• Former Cleveland Browns Pro Bowl offensive tackle Dick Schafrath.
• Former Cleveland Browns Pro Bowl safety Ernie Kellerman.
• Former big-league pitchers Ed Whitson, Fred Scherman and Jon Warden.
• Former Ohio State standout/Canadian Football Hall of Famer Don Sutherin.
• George Wilson, a member of the 1964 Olympic gold medal-winning basketball team.
• Urbana native Roger Wallace, who played wide receiver alongside Warfield for the Memphis Southmen of the World Football League in 1975.
In addition to the golf outing, Warfield will talk about his football career at 6 p.m. in the Grimes Room at Urbana Country Club. Tickets are $27. There will be an auction at the evening program with Urbana Country Club golf scorecards autographed by legends such as Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Hale Irwin, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller, Raymond Floyd, etc. Proceeds benefit the United Way.
To register for the golf scramble or buy tickets for Warfield’s speech, call Urbana Country Club’s William Unger at (937) 303-0916.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.