GAINESVILLE, Fla. — It looks like Florida may be getting a boost on offense today against Texas A&M as sophomore wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland is in uniform and going through pregame warmups.
Cleveland, who missed the Gators’ game with LSU last week due to a high-ankle sprain, was considered questionable against this week. Coach Jim McElwain said “that’s going to be a tough one” when addressing his status earlier in the week.
But Cleveland appears to be moving well in pregame and that’s great news for the Gators.
He leads the team with 15 catches for 326 yards and 2 touchdowns while no other receiver has more than 122 receiving yards. Without him last week, Florida mustered just 108 passing yards for the lowest total in McElwain’s two and a half seasons.
It remains to be seen how much he is used in the game, but he’s moving well enough in warmups that it’s conceivable he could be a real factor.
Here are some other pregame observations:
- Freshman playmaker Kadarius Toney (shoulder separation) is in street clothes and will not play, as reported by ESPN’s CollegeGameday. His athleticism will be missed. McElwain indicated earlier in the week that redshirt junior Dre Massey could replace Toney in some of the specialty packages the rookie has had. Massey has just 1 catch for 2 yards this fall, but he drew plenty of hype in the preseason.
- Defensive end Jabari Zuniga (ankle) is also in street clothes and will not play. He’s key cog for the defensive line, but Florida is so deep at end it should be fine with Jordan Sherit, Jachai Polite and CeCe Jefferson.
- Sophomore Jeawon Taylor was officially listed as a starter at safety alongside Chauncey Gardner Jr., and he indeed lined up with the second-team defense in pregame walkthroughs. Freshmen Shawn Davis and Brad Stewart were the second-team safeties.
- Redshirt freshman left guard Brett Heggie (who sustained a concussion in the first half last week) went through pregame drills in full pads.
- Lastly, here was the scene from Gator Walk as the players and coaches arrived at The Swamp.
The post WR Tyrie Cleveland makes it through pregame warmups for Florida appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.