The quiet weeks for Tennessee’s Class of 2018 might be at an end.
Tennessee lost a commitment last Saturday from running back Lyn-Dixon.
The Vols still hold a running back commitment from Anthony Grant. The Vols will hit the trail to find a prospect to fill the void left by Dixon.
Here’s an early glance showing where things stand for the Vols’ Class of 2018:
Where Tennessee’s class ranks
Tennessee ranks as the No. 7 class in the country and No. 2 in the SEC behind Georgia. The Vols hold one 5-star commit, offensive tackle Cade Mays, and eight 4-star prospects.
Six of the top nine players in the Class of 2018 from the Volunteer State have committed to the Vols.
Tennessee lost the commitment from Dixon, but that was about the only news. Which isn’t too bad.
The recruiting class seems to be in a holding pattern as it waits for clarity on the job status of coach Butch Jones. His job has come under attack as the Vols have fallen to 3-3 this season with each loss coming to SEC opponents.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are the latest headlines:
How some Tennessee commits are dealing with unsure coaching situation
Recruiting rivalry: Tennessee, Alabama go head-to-head for top 2018 recruits
Tennessee recruiting mailbag: What hurts recruiting, state of class and Master Teague
Tennessee 2018 football mock signing class: Rough start on field means new look to defense projections
How will Tennessee WR commit Alontae Taylor respond to QB choosing Vols’ SEC East rival?
Tennessee 2018 football mock signing class: Troubles in Knoxville means shake-up on offense
- Should Tennessee be expecting a commitment from LB Caleb Johnson?
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 366
- 5-star offers: 21
- 4-star offers: 194
- In-state recruits offered: 25
- Florida recruits offered: 91
- Georgia recruits offered: 62
- Texas recruits offered: 24
- OT Cade Mays, 5 stars, Knoxville, Tenn.
- DE Greg Emerson, 4 stars, Jackson, Tenn.
- WR Alontae Taylor, 4 stars, Manchester, Tenn.
- QB Adrian Martinez, 4 stars, Fresno, Calif.
- S Brendon Harris, 4 stars, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- DT D’Andre Litaker, 4 stars, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- DT Brant Lawless, 4 stars, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- S Trey Dean, 4 stars, Hampton, Tenn.
- CB Jaycee Horn, 4 stars, Alpharetta, Ga.
- LB Matthew Flint, 3 stars, Gurley, Ala.
- DE Dorian Gerald, 3 stars, Valencia, Calif.
- DT Jamarcus Chatman, 3 stars, Rome, Ga.
- RB Anthony Grant, 3 stars, Buford, Ga.
- QB Michael Penix, 3 stars, Tampa, Fla.
- TE Jacob Warren, 3 stars, Knoxville, Tenn.
- WR Jatavious Harris, 3 stars, Milledgeville, Ga.
- OG Ollie Lane, 3 stars, Corryton, Tenn.
- OT Tanner Antonutti, 3 stars, Nashville, Tenn.
- CB Brandon Cross, 3 stars, Orlando, Fla.
- CB Tanner Ingle, 3 stars, Orlando, Fla.
- WR Shocky Jacques-Louis, 3 stars, Fort Myers, Fla.
- P Paxton Brooks, N/R, West Columbia, S.C.
3 top uncommitted targets
- 3-star OT Jerome Carvin, Cordova, Tenn.: Carvin reduced his list to 10 on June 12, but Tennessee and Alabama have remained the leaders. Tennessee holds commitments from four offensive linemen, so Carvin could be leaning toward the Crimson Tide. Carvin’s good friend, Jordan Davis, is a Crimson Tide commit, which is another knock against the Vols. Carvin will take an official visit to Arkansas this fall, which means there’s another SEC team the Vols are up against.
- 4-star OLB Richard Jibunor, Athens, Ga.: Jibunor had a 1-on-1 interview with SEC Country’s Benjamin Wolk, and the linebacker made it clear who his top-2 teams are going forward: Tennessee and Auburn. Tennessee will take on one more linebacker this class, either Anderson or Jibunor. The Vols don’t appear to be in the lead for either at the moment, but they are within striking distance. When schools are close and it comes down to the wire in recruiting, anything can happen.
- 3-star OLB Cam Jones, Cordova, Tenn.: Tennessee had been on Jones, but the interest from the Vols dropped off over the summer. Tennessee has brought the interest back, and Jones could end up being the final defensive commit in the Class of 2018. The question could come down to how much the lesser contact over the summer weighs on Jones’ mind.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position:
- QB: 2 (Martinez, Penix)
- RB: 1 (Grant)
- TE: 1 (Warren)
- WR: 3 (Taylor, Harris, Jacques-Louis)
- OL: 3 (Mays, Lane, Antonutti)
- DL: 5 (Lawless, Litaker, Emerson, Gerald, Chatman)
- LB: 1 (Flint)
- CB: 3 (Ingle, Cross, Horn)
- S: 2 (Harris, Dean)
- P: 1 (Brooks)
Here’s a breakdown of Tennessee’s commits by state:
- Tennessee: 9 (Mays, Emerson, Litaker, Lawless, Taylor, Antonutti, Lane, Harris, Warren)
- Georgia: 5 (Dean, Grant, Harris, Chatman, Horn)
- Florida: 4 (Penix, Ingle, Cross, Jacques-Louis)
- California: 2 (Martinez, Gerald)
- Alabama: 1 (Flint)
- South Carolina: 1 (Brooks)
The post Tennessee recruiting: Latest updates on Vols’ 2018 football class appeared first on SEC Country.