The South Carolina football team picked up three commitments over the last seven days, starting with a graduate transfer kicker from Kent State.
As a whole, the Gamecocks’ commitment class sits at 20 members, though the figure doesn’t include a holdover from the 2017 class — defensive end Tyreek Johnson — and Shane Hynes, the transfer kicker.
Three-star safety Israel Mukuamu and 3-star athlete Bryce Thompson committed Saturday and Wednesday, respectively.
The first signing period for the 2018 recruiting cycle is Dec. 20-22.
Below is an update on where things stand for the 2018 class:
Where the South Carolina class ranks
According to the 247Sports composite, South Carolina’s 2018 class is ranked No. 18 in the country. The Gamecocks are sixth among teams from the SEC.
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 239
- 5-star offers: 9
- 4-star offers: 114
- In-state recruits offered: 17
- North Carolina recruits offered: 12
- WR Josh Vann, 4 stars, Tucker (Tucker, Ga.)
- QB Dakereon Joyner, 4 stars, Fort Dorchester (North Charleston, S.C.)
- DB Marlon Character Jr., 4 stars, Northwest Mississippi C.C. (Senatobia, Miss.)
- DB Jonathan Gipson, 3 stars, Mill Creek (Hoschton, Ga.)
- OT Maxwell Iyama, 3 stars, Siegel (Murfreesboro, Tenn.)
- WR Tyquan Johnson, 3 stars, Screven County (Sylvania, Ga.)
- SDE Kingsley Enagbare, 3 stars, Hapeville Charter (Atlanta)
- RB Deshaun Fenwick, 3 stars, Braden River (Bradenton, Fla.)
- DT Jabari Ellis, 3 stars, Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, Ga.)
- RB Lavonte Valentine, 3 stars, Melbourne Central Catholic (Melbourne, Fla.)
- WR Ronnie Jamison, 3 stars, Highland C.C. (Highland, Kan.)
- C Hank Manos, 3 stars, Chapin (Chapin, S.C.)
- OT Wyatt Campbell, 3 stars, Lugoff-Elgin (Lugoff, S.C.)
- OT Jesus Gibbs, 3 stars, Potomac (Dumfries, Va.)
- OLB Ernest Jones, 3 stars, Ware County (Waycross, Ga.)
- S RJ Roderick, 3 stars, Cane Bay (Summerville, S.C.)
- WR Darius Rush, 3 stars, C.E. Murray (Greeleyville, S.C.)
- OG LaMarius Benson, 3 stars, Eastside (Covington, Ga.)
- DE Tyreek Johnson, 3 stars, Lakewood (Sumter, S.C.)
- S Israel Mukuamu, 3 stars, Parkway (Bossier City, La.)
- ATH Bryce Thompson, 3 stars, Dutch Fork (Irmo, S.C.)
Top 3 uncommitted targets
5-star DE K.J. Henry (Clemmons, N.C.)
Henry did not take his final official visit to Alabama last weekend. He’ll announce where he’s headed to play college ball on Dec. 20, around 4:20 p.m.
4-star OT Dylan Wonnum (Tucker, Ga.)
Wonnum won’t sign until February.
4-star OLB Channing Tindall (Columbia, S.C.)
Tindall will take an official visit this weekend to Georgia.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed:
- QB: 1/1 (Joyner)
- RB: 2/2 (Fenwick, Valentine)
- TE: 0/0
- WR: 4/4 (Jamison, Johnson, Rush, Vann)
- OL: 5/5 (Benson, Campbell, Iyama, Manos)
- DL: 4/5 (Ellis, Enagbare, Gibbs, Johnson)
- ILB: 0/1
- OLB: 1/1 (Jones)
- CB: 3/4 (Character, Mukuamu, Thompson)
- S: 2/2 (Gipson, Roderick)
Here’s a breakdown of South Carolina commits by state:
- South Carolina: 8 (Campbell, Ellis, Jamison, Johnson, Joyner, Manos, Roderick, Rush, Thompson)
- Georgia: 7 (Benson, Character, Enagbare, Gipson, Jones, Johnson, Vann)
- Florida: 2 (Fenwick, Valentine)
- Louisiana: 1 (Mukuamu)
- Virginia: 1 (Gibbs)
- Tennessee: 1 (Iyama)
The post South Carolina football recruiting: Gamecocks inch closer to early signing period appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.