It has been nine recruiting cycles since the Florida Gators signed a player from New Jersey.
Iverson Clement broke the streak Wednesday morning when he signed with the Gators. Clement is one of the top running backs in New Jersey — even though he’s officially listed as an athlete by 247Sports and played on defense and as a return man during his time in high school.
Here’s all you need to know about the versatile athlete in the 2018 class:
4-star athlete Iverson Clement
- 247Sports composite ranking: No. 11 athlete nationally and No. 282 overall, No. 6 prospect in New Jersey
- Hometown: Mount Holly, N.J.
- School: Rancocas Valley
- Height: 5-foot-11
- Weight: 199 pounds
- Offers: 18, including Ohio State and Penn State.
- Commitment: April 13, 2017
- Early enrollee: Yes
- Senior stats: 1,419 rushing yards, 13 rushing touchdowns
- Where he fits at Florida: While Clement is listed as an athlete, it is anticipated that he will play as a running back at the collegiate level like he did in high school. Clement could be in the mix for playing time both in the return game and potentially at running back. The former is a position of need for the Gators, who averaged just 21.27 yards per kickoff return and 5.08 yards per punt return last season. The latter will be predicated on how quickly Clement rises on the depth chart that contains three returning players (Lamical Perine, Malik Davis and Adarius Lemons) as well as fellow running back commit Dameon Pierce.
What we’ve written about Iverson Clement
- Clement’s return skills were on full display in a comeback win earlier in the season.
- Clement stayed locked to his Florida commitment despite a later pledge from fellow top running back Dameon Pierce.
- Clement participated in the Gators’ Friday Night Lights and enjoyed Florida’s “Southern hospitality.”
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.