TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The early part of the offseason is nearly over as Alabama football is scheduled to start spring practice Tuesday.
The Crimson Tide will hold 14 closed practices before its A-Day spring game April 21. A-Day will be televised on ESPN.
Here’s our question of the day — go here for other Alabama football and recruiting questions and answers.
What are some questions for Alabama football heading into spring practice?
- How will the offense look? This is an all-encompassing question because we have no idea. Alabama has a new offensive staff with Mike Locksley as offensive coordinator, Dan Enos as quarterbacks coach, Joe Pannunzio as running backs coach, Josh Gattis as co-offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach and Jeff Banks as tight ends coach. Offensive line coach Brent Key is the lone coach left in his same position from 2017.
- How will the quarterbacks be managed? Nick Saban hinted at potentially playing both quarterbacks — Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa — if both are able to show they can play winning football. One has to start, but who starts may not matter as much if Saban believes he can play both.
- Which skill players will be featured? Alabama has an embarrassment of riches at running back and wide receiver. Damien Harris, Josh Jacobs, Najee Harris and Brian Robinson return at running back. Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy and DeVonta Smith are back at wide receiver. There are also pass-catching tight ends Irv Smith Jr., Miller Forristall and Hale Hentges. That’s a lot of quality players and only one football.
- Who’s next up along the defensive line? We know about Raekwon Davis and Isaiah Buggs, but who beyond them is ready to break out with Da’Ron Payne gone. Quinnen Williams and LaBryan Ray are a couple of names to watch.
- How will the secondary look? This is the biggest question mark for the team, in my opinion. We’ll hear a lot about Alabama’s quarterbacks, but if the secondary doesn’t come together, Alabama could struggle at times on defense. The good thing for the secondary is Alabama should have plenty of pass rushers to take away how much time opposing quarterbacks have in the pocket.
The post Question of the day: 5 things you want to know as Alabama spring practice nears appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.