Join us daily at ACC DieHards for the latest North Carolina recruiting news and notes on the next crop of Tar Heels. Don’t miss any coverage from Cody Pace and the DieHards.com team. Read his daily notebooks here at 7 p.m. ET Sunday through Thursday. In this edition, we discuss Ashton Hagans’ first public comments on his recruitment since de-committing.
Ashton Hagans addresses recruitment, reclassification rumors
It’s been about a week and a half since 5-star point guard Ashton Hagans announced his de-commitment from Georgia with questions surrounding the coaching staff.
North Carolina has appeared to show interest, sending a representative to watch him take on 5-star 2018 power forward E.J. Montgomery’s Wheeler squad in the Georgia state playoffs last week.
In his first USA Today blog post since the end of November, Hagans opened up about the decision to de-commit and the ensuing slew of schools coming in to recruit him.
So far, the schools Hagans says he’s heard from the most are Florida State, Marquette, Ohio State, South Carolina and Florida. He also said that he’ll “always have Georgia in mind.”
But, of most interest to North Carolina fans, Hagans says that North Carolina has reached out to his AAU coach but that the Tar Heels have not contacted his family directly yet. That seems to indicate that North Carolina’s interest isn’t very strong.
Hagans also said that he has “no idea” where he’s going and that the rumors about him leaning one way or another are not true.
The next step for Hagans is going to “look at things more closely” and is going to “go on a few visits.” It’s possible that a visit to North Carolina could heat things up between the two, but nothing can really happen until a decision is made in regards to Georgia’s coaching staff.
And as for the potential for reclassification, Hagans indicated that won’t be happening.
“I’m staying 2019,” Hagans wrote.
Tar Heels offer 2 top Pennsylvania prospects
The North Carolina football program had a strong showing outside of the state with the Class of 2018.
Many of the Tar Heels’ recent offers have been aimed at continuing that trend, including two over the last week to top-15 players in Pennsylvania.
The first of those two offers went to 3-star Farrell, Pa. outside linebacker Kyi Wright on March 1.
— ⚡️Kyi Wright‼️ (@Kyi_Dorian3) March 1, 2018
Wright, the eighth-ranked player in Pennsylvania, is the No. 29 outside linebacker and No. 459 overall player in the Class of 2019.
The offer makes nine for Wright, who also has offers from Maryland, Pitt, UCLA and Wisconsin, among others.
While there don’t appear to be a favorite in his recruitment at the moment, Penn State is a team to watch if it chooses to get involved. Wright has visited the Nittany Lions twice over the last six months — once in October and again on Feb. 3 for Penn State’s junior day.
The second of the two offers went to three-star Ambler, Pa. receiver Marlyn Johnson on Sunday.
— Marlyn Johnson (@Marlynjohnson21) March 4, 2018
Johnson, the No. 12 player in Pennsylvania by 247Sports, is up to 11 offers including North Carolina.
The Tar Heels could be a player here. Johnson’s offer came in conjunction with a visit to Chapel Hill. Boston College, Nebraska, Pitt and West Virginia are among the other schools that have offered.
The 6-foot-4, 190-pound receiver ranks as the No. 90 receiver and No. 697 overall player in the Class of 2019 per 247Sports’ rankings.
Miss a previous edition? Find every ACC DieHards daily North Carolina Tar Heels recruiting notebook right here.
The post North Carolina recruiting: 5-star PG Ashton Hagans addresses reopened recruitment, reclassification appeared first on Diehards.