Nebraska recruiting: Offers still flowing; Huskers secure 6 walk-on commitments

Another day, another three offers extended by the Nebraska coaching staff to three different position groups.

Ryan Winkel, a 3-star offensive lineman from Christian Brothers (Memphis, Tenn.), picked up one of the offers. It is Winkel’s third Power 5 offer; Northwestern was the first, and Winkel took an official visit with the Wildcats last weekend. He is the No. 150 offensive tackle in the 2018 class, per the 247Sports composite. The Nebraska staff offered Winkel when they coached at UCF, continuing the theme of targeting familiar prospects.

The Huskers are looking to bolster the offensive line, with 3-star center Will Farniok the only commit on the O-line in the class.

A Georgia commit was another to receive an offer. Rachad Wildgoose Jr. is a 3-star defensive back from Miami (Northwestern). The No. 63 safety, according to the 247Sports composite, will be taking his official visit with the Bulldogs this weekend. The staff also knew him from their UCF days, and new Knights defensive coordinator Randy Shannon conducted an in-home visit with Wildgoose earlier this week.

Geordon Porter de-committed from Notre Dame on Saturday and the Huskers offered the 3-star wide receiver Thursday. Tennessee, which has become a serious foe of the Huskers on the recruiting trail, also offered Porter this week. He is the No. 77 receiver in the class, per 247Sports. Porter, from Rancho Cucamonga, Calif., is trending toward Arizona State and is planning on signing early, so it will be interesting to see if he sticks to that plan. At 6-foot-2, Porter’s length makes him a desirable receiving option.

More walk-ons pledge to Nebraska

Nebraska’s walk-on event Wednesday night has already paid dividends in bringing the heralded Huskers walk-on program back to prominence. At the end of the event, three in-state prospects (O’Neill athlete Wyatt Liewer, Omaha Skutt linebacker Jake Archer, Lincoln Southwest lineman Collin Shefke) had committed. The Huskers doubled that total within the next 24 hours.

AJ Forbes, one of the state’s top linemen from Bellevue West, committed to Nebraska on Thursday night.

“After talking with Coach Frost and experiencing what they had to offer, I just felt right at home,” Forbes told Mike Sautter of the Omaha World-Herald. “I’ll be close to home and I’ll be a part of something bigger than myself in making Nebraska what it used to be.”

Forbes is expected to play an interior line position. He also held a Division I offer from Air Force.

 Millard West running back Brody Belt also gave his commitment to the Huskers.
“I committed [Thursday] because I knew it was the right fit and I knew I wanted to come to Nebraska,” Belt told Sautter.

Chris Cassidy, a two-way standout at Lincoln Pius X, was the third walk-on to commit. He rushed for 858 yards this season, averaging 6.0 yards per carry, with 10 touchdowns, according to MaxPreps.com. On defense, he recorded 71 tackles (30 solo) with 2 fumble recoveries and 1 interception.

The post Nebraska recruiting: Offers still flowing; Huskers secure 6 walk-on commitments appeared first on Land of 10.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X