Michigan football’s recruiting is still in good hands with Jim Harbaugh in charge.
While Michigan’s 2018 class hasn’t yet reached the heights the program saw in Harbaugh’s first few classes, he’s still positioned within striking distance of the nation’s elite.
Where the Michigan recruiting class ranks
Michigan’s 2018 recruiting class is ranked No. 14 nationally and No. 3 in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports. Of the Wolverines’ 14 commits, eight are 4-star recruits.
Latest news for Michigan recruiting
Michigan made 4-star WR Bryan Addison’s top four.
The Wolverines picked up their most recent 2018 commitment, No. 13, on August 2. Florida DB Sammy Faustin (Naples, Fla.) committed to the Wolverines by announcing his commitment on Twitter.
Kevin Goheen wrote an update on Michigan commits and twins Gemon and German Green. Check it out.
Michigan 2018 offers by the numbers
Of the Wolverines’ 227 reported offers, 170 are to 4- or 5-star recruits.
- Reported offers: 227
- 5-star offers: 18
- 4-star offers: 151
- In-state recruits offered: 8
- Florida recruits offered: 50
- Georgia recruits offered: 31
- California recruits offered: 18
- Ohio recruits offered: 12
Michigan football commits for 2018
There are 14 Wolverines commitments.
- OG Emil Ekiyor, 4 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- CB Myles Sims, 4 stars, Atlanta (Ga.)
- OLB Otis Reese, 4 stars, Leesburg (Ga.)
- QB Joe Milton, 4 stars, Orlando (Fla.)
- SDE Aidan Hutchinson, 4 stars, Dearborn (Mich.)
- OLB Cameron McGrone, 4 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- OT Ryan Hayes, 4 stars, Traverse City (Mich.)
- OT Jalen Mayfield, 4 stars, Grand Rapids (Mich.)
- CB Gemon Green, 4 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
- RB Christian Turner, 3 stars, Buford (Ga.)
- TE Luke Schoonmaker, 3 stars, Hamden (Conn.)
- CB Sammy Faustin, 3 stars, Naples (Fla.)
- CB German Green, 3 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
- QB Kevin Doyle, 3 stars (D.C.)
5 top uncommitted Michigan recruiting targets
TE Mustapha Muhammad, 4 stars, Missouri City (Texas)
The Wolverines did not sign a tight end in 2017 and also lost Devin Asiasi to UCLA as a transfer. Luke Schoonmaker, a 3-star tight end, was an important get last week for Jim Harbaugh and staff. But Muhammad would be an even bigger commit, as he’s rated No. 5 nationally at his position by 247 Sports. A little after 1 a.m. ET on August 10, Muhammad included Michigan on a new top-5 list to celebrate his birthday. The Wolverines would like to get another tight end commit.
DT Tyler Friday, 4 stars, Ramsey (N.J.)
Michigan might be competing against in-state Rutgers for the 4-star defensive lineman. Rated as his state’s No. 2 recruit for 2018, Friday is still projected to land with the Wolverines and would be a huge pick up for DL coach Greg Mattison. But as Land of 10’s Kevin Goheen writes, a Michigan-Rutgers battle is definitely happening.
TE Luke Ford, 4 stars, Carterville (Ill.)
The former Arkansas commit has an impressive collection of offers, including Alabama, Texas and Georgia. But Steve Wiltfong of 247 Sports reports that Luke’s father considers the Wolverines as among the leaders for his son. Ford is ranked as the nation’s No. 2 tight end for 2018 and his No. 59 overall for all positions. Alabama is seen as the favorite.
OT Daniel Faalele, 3 stars, Bradenton (Fla.)
The IMG talent projected to start at left tackle has yet to play in a regulation football game. But the Australian has the size that intrigues college coaches. 247 Sports lists Faalele at 6-foot-8 and 400 pounds. Tennessee is viewed as the favorite.
DT Michael Thompson, 4 stars, St. Louis
Missouri is the clear favorite here, but Thompson was at the Wolverines’ BBQ at the Big House a couple weeks ago. Thompson is nearly 300 pounds and is Missouri’s No. 2 recruit for 2018. Last month, Thompson included Michigan with Missouri, Ohio State, Alabama and LSU in his top-5 list. Expect this to be a Missouri-Michigan battle.
Michigan commitments position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commitments at each position.
- CB: 4 (Faustin, Gemon Green, German Green, Sims)
- OL: 3 (Ekiyor, Hayes, Mayfield)
- LB: 2 (McGrone, Reese)
- QB: 2 (Milton, Doyle)
- DL: 1 (Hutchinson)
- RB: 1 (Turner)
- TE: 1 (Schoonmaker)
Geographical breakdown of Michigan football commits
Here is a breakdown of Michigan’s 2018 commits by state.
- Georgia: 3 (Reese, Sims, Turner)
- Michigan: 3 (Hayes, Hutchinson, Mayfield)
- Florida: 2 (Faustin, Milton)
- Indiana: 2 (Ekiyor, McGrone)
- Texas: 2 (Germon Green, German Green)
- Connecticut: 1 (Schoonmaker)
- D.C.: 1 (Doyle)
The post Michigan recruiting: Updates on Wolverines’ 2018 football class appeared first on Land of 10.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.