Iowa football’s 2018 recruiting class is a work in progress.
While Kirk Ferentz’s team doesn’t consistently rank near the top of the country or even the Big Ten in recruiting, Iowa’s still lagging unusually far behind its conference foes so far in this cycle. However, it’s only October, and the Hawkeyes still have a whole lot of time between now and December’s new signing period to make up the gap.
Where Iowa’s recruiting class ranks
Iowa’s 2018 recruiting class is ranked No. 55 nationally and 13th out of the 14 teams in the Big Ten, according to 247Sports. All 13 of the Hawkeyes’ commitments are rated as 3-star recruits.
Latest news for Iowa recruiting
The Hawkeyes are also getting success for 2019, as CB Larry Tracy III committed July 31. Tracy’s cousin and teammate, Tyrone Tracy Jr., is a 2018 Iowa commit. Tyrone committed back in April.
Iowa 2018 offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 115
- 5-star offers: 3
- 4-star offers: 32
- In-state recruits offered: 5
- Ohio recruits offered: 17
- Illinois recruits offered: 12
- Florida recruits offered: 18
- Missouri recruits offered: 10
Iowa football commits for 2018
There are currently 13 Hawkeyes commits.
- CB Donald “D.J.” Johnson, 4 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- S Julius Brents, 3 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- DT Noah Shannon, 3 stars, Oswego (Ill.)
- RB Tyrone Tracy Jr., 3 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- OT Cody Ince, 3 stars, Balsam Lake (Wis.)
- OLB Dillon Doyle, 3 stars, Iowa City (Iowa)
- DT Tyler Linderbaum, 3 stars, Solon (Iowa)
- OG Jeffrey Jenkins, 3 stars, Crystal Lake (Ill.)
- RB Henry Geil, 3 stars, Green Bay (Wis.)
- ATH Samson Evans, 3 stars, Crystal Lake (Ill.)
- OT Jack Plumb, 3 stars, Green Bay (Wis.)
- TE Anthony Torres, 3 stars, Bradenton (Fla.)
- CB Terry Roberts, 3 stars, Erie (Pa.)
Top uncommitted Iowa targets
4-star DL John Waggoner, West Des Moines (Iowa)
Most of the players the Hawkeyes have sent offers to are rated as 3 stars. All 11 current 2018 commits are 3 star prospects. So 4-star Waggoner would be a big recruiting win for Kirk Ferentz and the staff. The 6-foot-5, 230 pound defensive end is ranked by 247 Sports as Iowa’s top prospect for 2018. As reported by Rob Howe of HawkeyeNation.com, Waggoner was set to announce his decision at the end of July; Waggoner has since postponed his commitment.
3-star RB/LB Elijah Collins, Detroit
The Michigan recruit announced a top-6 list on Monday, with Iowa making the cut. Collins also included Michigan State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Pittsburgh and Mississippi State. Collins is rated by 247 Sports composite as Michigan’s No. 21 recruit for 2018.
3-star S, WR Dallas Craddieth, Florissant (Mo.)
It looks like the Hawkeyes will be battling with Missouri for Craddieth’s pledge. A top-10 Missouri recruit for 2018, ranked No. 8, Craddieth most recently updated his favorites list in May. His top-12 list included Big Ten foes Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue and Wisconsin.
Iowa position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commitments for each position.
- OL: 3 (Ince, Jenkins, Plumb)
- CB: 2 (Johnson, Roberts)
- DL: 2 (Linderbaum, Shannon)
- RB: 2 (Geil, Tracy)
- OLB: 1 (Doyle)
- ATH: 1 (Evans)
- TE: 1 (Torres)
Here is a breakdown of Iowa’s 2018 commits by state.
- Illinois: 3 (Evans, Jenkins, Shannon)
- Wisconsin: 3 (Geil, Ince, Plumb)
- Indiana: 2 (Johnson, Tracy)
- Iowa: 2 (Doyle, Linderbaum)
- Florida: 1 (Torres)
- Pennsylvania: 1 (Roberts)
The post Iowa football recruiting: Updates on Hawkeyes’ 2018 class appeared first on Land of 10.