Iowa football is lagging behind its Big Ten foes in recruiting for 2018 so far.
The Hawkeyes don’t have the sheer number of commits that many other Big Ten teams reeled in, though there’s still time for Kirk Ferentz and his staff to catch up.
Find rankings, commits and a breakdown of Iowa recruits by the numbers below.
Where Iowa’s recruiting class ranks
Iowa’s 2018 recruiting class is ranked No. 54 nationally and 12th in the Big Ten, according to 247Sports. All 13 of the Hawkeyes’ commitments are rated as 3-star recruits.
Latest news for Iowa recruiting
The Hawkeyes are also getting success for 2019, as CB Larry Tracy III committed July 31. Tracy’s cousin and teammate, Tyrone Tracy Jr., is a 2018 Iowa commit. Tyrone committed back in April.
Iowa 2018 offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 115
- 5-star offers: 3
- 4-star offers: 32
- In-state recruits offered: 5
- Ohio recruits offered: 17
- Illinois recruits offered: 12
- Florida recruits offered: 18
- Missouri recruits offered: 10
Iowa football commits for 2018
There are currently 13 Hawkeyes commits.
- CB Donald “D.J.” Johnson, 3 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- S Julius Brents, 3 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- DT Noah Shannon, 3 stars, Oswego (Ill.)
- RB Tyrone Tracy Jr., 3 stars, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- OT Cody Ince, 3 stars, Balsam Lake (Wis.)
- OLB Dillon Doyle, 3 stars, Iowa City (Iowa)
- DT Tyler Linderbaum, 3 stars, Solon (Iowa)
- OG Jeffrey Jenkins, 3 stars, Crystal Lake (Ill.)
- RB Henry Geil, 3 stars, Green Bay (Wis.)
- ATH Samson Evans, 3 stars, Crystal Lake (Ill.)
- OT Jack Plumb, 3 stars, Green Bay (Wis.)
- TE Anthony Torres, 3 stars, Bradenton (Fla.)
- CB Terry Roberts, 3 stars, Erie (Pa.)
Top uncommitted Iowa targets
4-star DL John Waggoner, West Des Moines (Iowa)
Most of the players the Hawkeyes have sent offers to are rated as 3 stars. All 11 current 2018 commits are 3-star prospects. So 4-star Waggoner would be a big recruiting win for Kirk Ferentz and the staff. The 6-foot-5, 230 pound defensive end is ranked by 247 Sports as Iowa’s top prospect for 2018. As reported by Rob Howe of HawkeyeNation.com, Waggoner was set to announce his decision at the end of July; Waggoner has since postponed his commitment.
3-star S, WR Dallas Craddieth, Florissant (Mo.)
It looks like the Hawkeyes will be battling with Nebraska and Missouri for Craddieth’s pledge. A top-10 Missouri recruit for 2018, ranked No. 8, Craddieth most recently updated his favorites list in May. His top-12 list included Big Ten foes Illinois, Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue and Wisconsin.
Iowa position breakdown
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commitments for each position.
- OL: 3 (Ince, Jenkins, Plumb)
- CB: 2 (Johnson, Roberts)
- DL: 2 (Linderbaum, Shannon)
- RB: 2 (Geil, Tracy)
- OLB: 1 (Doyle)
- ATH: 1 (Evans)
- TE: 1 (Torres)
Here is a breakdown of Iowa’s 2018 commits by state.
- Illinois: 3 (Evans, Jenkins, Shannon)
- Wisconsin: 3 (Geil, Ince, Plumb)
- Indiana: 2 (Johnson, Tracy)
- Iowa: 2 (Doyle, Linderbaum)
- Florida: 1 (Torres)
- Pennsylvania: 1 (Roberts)
The post Iowa football recruiting: Latest updates for Hawekeyes’ 2018 class appeared first on Land of 10.