While TCU was shutting down offenses in the Mountain West and WAC before joining the Big 12, there was a question on whether or not the Frogs could hang with Power 5 schools.
Gary Patterson’s defense played well in the Frogs’ first four years in the Big 12. But in its fifth year, TCU stepped it up big time.
The Horned Frogs led the Big 12 in nearly every major statistical defensive category in 2017. TCU football’s Twitter account summed it up pretty nicely:
— TCU Football (@TCUFootball) December 11, 2017
Let’s break that down a bit further, looking at how the Frogs finished nationally in each category and how close the next-best Big 12 team was.
- TCU allowed 99.8 yards on the ground, good for fourth-place nationally. Texas was second in conference, allowing 105.7 yards per game.
- The Horned Frogs gave up 228.7 yards through the air per game, which ranked 75th in the country. Iowa State was next in the Big 12 with 234.2 yards per game.
- Overall, TCU allowed 328.5 yards per game, which ranked No. 19 nation-wide. Texas was second with 363.6 yards per game.
- Opponents scored 17.6 yards per game against TCU, the twelfth-fewest in the nation. Iowa State finished second in the Big 12, giving up 21 points per game.
- TCU’s passing defense efficiency rating was 124.14, which ranked No. 52 in the nation. Texas was a close second at 125.19.
- The Frogs finished with 41 sacks, tied for the fourth-most in the country. The Longhorns were second yet again, with 30 sacks.
- In red zone defense, TCU allowed a score 64.5 percent of the time, second-best in the country. Kansas State was next in the Big 12, giving up a score 78.7 percent of the time.
That’s a pretty dominant season.
The post Horned Frogs finish first in Big 12 in nearly every defensive stat appeared first on Diehards.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.