Prepare yourselves to hear “Oklahoma hasn’t faced a defense like Georgia’s all season” for the next few weeks.
While it’s true, the Bulldogs defense is really good (linebacker Roquan Smith even garnered a few Heisman Trophy votes), Georgia hasn’t seen an offense near the level of Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield and the Sooners.
A brief look at some of the broader stats show Georgia hasn’t even come close to facing the production of Oklahoma’s offense. And come Jan. 1 at the Rose Bowl, the Sooners will get the chance to prove that on the field.
Total offense of Georgia’s opponents
|App. State||W 31-10||6.45||438.3|
|Notre Dame||W 20-19||6.42||454.9|
|Miss. State||W 31-3||5.52||419.8|
|South Carolina||W 24-10||5.49||340.2|
|Georgia Tech||W 38-7||5.51||391.6|
|Auburn (CCG)||W 28-7||—||—|
- The best offense statistically Georgia has seen is Missouri. The Bulldogs won 53-28, showing it can bend against a 7-5 Tigers team. The only issue is Oklahoma picks up over a yard more on average per play than Missouri.
- Georgia did adjust to losing 40-17 to Auburn, but only after having a month to prepare. The Bulldogs will obviously not have the same luxury of a mulligan against the Sooners.
- Georgia has wins over Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Florida, South Carolina and Kentucky, who rank 124th, 103rd, 111th, 108th and 102nd respectively in total offense in the country.
Scoring/rush/pass offense of Georgia’s opponents
|Opponent||PPG||Rush Off||Pash Off|
- Georgia has faced a better rushing attack statistically than Oklahoma, but the Sooners passing attack will be uncharted waters for the Bulldogs secondary.
- Georgia has faced five pass offenses that didn’t average for more than 200 yards per game and six that didn’t rush for more than 200 yards per game.
- Georgia scores 34.9 points per game itself, a solid 10 points less than Oklahoma on average.
- The Bulldogs have the 110th-ranked passing offense in the country, averaging 170.1 yards per game through the air. If Georgia wants to outpace Oklahoma, it might have to rely on freshman Jake Fromm to have the game of his life.
- Fromm’s single-game best for passing yards was 326 against Missouri. He has only thrown for 3 touchdowns once, which came against FCS Samford.
The post Georgia hasn’t seen an offense quite like Oklahoma appeared first on Diehards.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.