Former Michigan State AD: ESPN report had ‘incomplete and misleading statements’

Former Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis is joining current university interim president John Engler in calling out  ESPN’s bombshell report on the Spartans’ athletic department from last month.

MLive obtained a statement that Hollis emailed to current athletic department staffers at Michigan State. In his message, Hollis said that parts of ESPN’s report — which outlined a culture of mishandled assault allegations throughout the Michigan State athletic department — were “incomplete and misleading.”

Here’s part of what Hollis wrote:

“I can state with certainty that there were inaccurate, incomplete and misleading statements made and then reported by ESPN.”

Earlier this week, Engler released a statement to the Michigan State community and said that ESPN’s report was a “ sensationalized package of reporting.”

MORE: Michigan State basketball freshman reportedly being investigated for sexual misconduct

On Jan. 26, ESPN released a lengthy report about missteps the Michigan State athletic department — including the football program under Mark Dantonio and the men’s basketball program under Tom Izzo — had made in handling allegations of sexual abuse and violence against women.

Hollis announced his retirement hours before the report came out. He was the second Michigan State administrator to step down that week as former president Lou Anna Simon resigned in the wake of the Larry Nassar scandal.

The post Former Michigan State AD: ESPN report had ‘incomplete and misleading statements’ appeared first on Land of 10.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X