As Jim McElwain tries to rebuild Florida football into a championship program, one of his mottos is “recruit daily or die.” Join us here on SEC Country for a daily recap of the latest Florida recruiting news, tales from the trail and perspective on what it all means for the Gators.
Top 5 OL targets
The Gators landed a big commitment Friday from 4-star offensive tackle Richard Gouraige, but they’re not done landing players at the position.
Florida wants to sign five linemen in the Class of 2018 and has a handful of options on the board. Here are the top 5 targets to fill those spots.
1) William Barnes, 4-star OL, Apopka (Apopka, Fla.)
- Barnes has been a priority from the start of the cycle. Offensive line coach Brad Davis formed a quick relationship with him after taking the job and solidified the Gators as the top team for Barnes in the spring. However, the top-100 overall is no longer naming a leader and has seven schools under consideration for official visits. Florida State and North Carolina are Florida’s biggest threats for Barnes, who plans to decide on National Signing Day.
2) Nicholas Petit-Frere, 4-star OT, Berkley Prep (Tampa, Fla.)
- Despite his 5-star status on 247Sports, very little is known about the recruitment of Petit-Frere. He’s in no rush to make a decision and hasn’t thought about the process a lot. Petit-Frere plans to take official visits after his senior season, but where and when is still to be determined. I think it will come down to Alabama and Florida, but that’s just a hunch. Unlike Petit-Frere, the Gators have a much clearer picture of where they stand with Barnes and that makes him more important.
3) Ed Montilus, 3-star OG, Apopka (Apopka, Fla.)
- Barnes and Montilus are basically a package deal, but Montilus isn’t some tag-along teammate that college coaches are reluctant to take. He holds more than a dozen offers from Power 5 programs, but Auburn, Florida and North Carolina are the schools he likes the most. If the Apopka duo does play together on the next level, it will likely be at UF or UNC.
4) Tank Jenkins, 3-star OL, Park Crossing (Montgomery, Ala.)
- The Gators have recruited Jenkins for two and a half years, offering him a scholarship in July of 2015. Florida led for Jenkins early in his recruitment, but Auburn, Miami and Louisville are now the main schools involved. However, he still communicates with the Gators and could get the full-court press from them if they miss on their top targets.
5) Christian Meadows, 4-star OT, Macon County (Montezuma, Ga.)
- Meadows has been committed to Florida State for more than year and remains solid with the Seminoles. But if they continue to struggle this season and the aforementioned Florida targets go elsewhere, the Gators may take another crack at Meadows.
Miss a previous Gator Chomps notebook? Find every daily recap of Florida Gators recruiting right here.
The post Florida recruiting: Top 5 OL targets remaining for Gators appeared first on SEC Country.