Join us here on SEC Country for a daily recap of the latest Florida recruiting news, tales from the trail and perspective on what it all means for the Gators.
QB Emory Jones
- Mullen called Emory Jones his “quarterback for the future” after flipping him from Ohio State during the early signing period. Jones enrolled early at Florida and will compete for the starting job as a true freshman. Mullen has coached multiple All-SEC quarterbacks and Jones has the talent to be the next one on that list. If he fulfills his potential, produces at a high level and leads the Gators to a championship, Jones could also be in contention for All-American honors and multiple awards.
- Jacob Copeland is the highest-rated player in Florida’s 2018 class, and for good reason. He is one of the most dynamic receivers in the country and has the skill set to play the “Percy position” in Mullen’s offense. Copeland will be a vertical threat down the field and a mismatch in the slot. Expect the Gators to use him on jet sweeps and reverses as well. Like Harvin, Copeland could be an All-American at Florida and may even put up enough numbers to be a candidate for the Biletnikoff Award.
ATH Justin Watkins
- Watkins is electric with the ball in his hands and has a top-100 overall ranking in the 247Sports Composite. However, Watkins is also a lock-down cornerback and the Gators recruited him as an athlete. He has the ability to start on either side of the ball and his position will be determined once he gets into fall camp, Regardless of where he lines up, Watkins is going to an All-SEC caliber player. He will also be a returner for the Gators and that could earn him some accolades as well.
TE Kyle Pitts
- Mullen does a great job of using tight ends into his offense, and he’s going to love working with Kyle Pitts. The 6-foot-6, 235-pound Pitts has the athleticism, ball skills and hands to be a weapon in the passing game, but also possesses the physicality and strength to be an effective blocker. He is one of the top high school players in the country at his position and has a chance to be the same in college. Pitts has the potential to be an All-SEC tight end for the Gators.
K Evan McPherson
- With Florida kicker Eddy Pinerio entering the NFL Draft, Evan McPherson is one of the most important recruits in Florida’s 2018 class. Mullen flipped him from Mississippi State and he has the opportunity to be a starter on Day 1. McPherson is the top-ranked kicker in the country and lived up to his billing at the Under Armour All-America Game.
Miss a previous Gator Chomps notebook? Find every daily recap of Florida Gators recruiting right here.
The post Florida recruiting: Signees that will contend for collegiate awards, accolades appeared first on SEC Country.