Florida’s 2018 class continues to go through changes as the early signing period approaches.
Florida suffered some de-commitments for the third consecutive week, but the Gators landed a new pledge, received some big news from one of their new targets and held their first recruiting weekend under UF coach Dan Mullen.
Where Florida’s class ranks
Florida’s 2018 class is ranked No. 32 nationally and No. 9 in the SEC, according to the 247Sports Composite. Seven of the Gators’ 12 commits are 4-star recruits. Florida has the SEC’s fourth-highest average star rating (89.91) behind Alabama (92.14), Auburn (90.56) and Georgia (92.00).
The Gators lost two more class members this week, with 3-star athlete Nigel Bethel de-committing Monday and 4-star quarterback Matt Corral flipping to Ole Miss on Thursday. Bethel’s decision did not come as a surprise, but the loss of Corral is a big blow to Florida’s 2018 class.
The Gators have taken the lead for the nation’s No. 7 JUCO DT Noah Jefferson, who will visit UF on Feb. 2. Mullen hosted seven official visitors last weekend including 5-star offensive guard Jamaree Salyer and Florida kicker commit Evan McPherson, who flipped from Mississippi State following the trip.
Here’s the latest Florida recruiting news:
- QB Matt Corral flips commitment to Ole Miss
- Gators offer Tommy Bush as their WR board takes shape
- Florida commit Amari Burney in a win-win situation for early playing time
- Florida leads for nation’s No. 7 JUCO DT Noah Jefferson
- Why Florida’s Dan Mullen waited until Monday to visit QB Matt Corral
- 3-star athlete Nigel Bethel de-commits from Florida Gators
- Where Florida stands with 5-star OG Jamaree Salyer after his official visit
- Dan Mullen’s first recruiting weekend at Florida yields a few surprises
- Florida coach Dan Mullen conducts in-home visit with QB Matt Corral
- DB Randy Russell and his mother receive ‘royal treatment’ on Florida visit
- WATCH: Top-100 recruit wears Florida title rings in Dan Mullen’s office
- 4-star RB Dameon Pierce, Bainbridge (Ga.)
- 4-star RB Iverson Clement,Rancocas Valley (Mount Holly, N.J.)
- 3-star WR Corey Gammage, Atlantic (Delray Beach, Fla.)
- 3-star WR Tyquan Thornton, Booker T. Washington (Miami)
- 4-star TE Kyle Pitts, Archbishop Wood (Warminster, Pa.)
- 3-star TE Dante Lang, Boca Raton (Fla.)
- 4-star OL Richard Gouraige, Cambridge Christian (Tampa, Fla.)
- 3-star OL Chris Bleich, Wyoming Valley West (Plymouth, PA)
- 4-star LB David Reese, Vero Beach (Fla.)
- 4-star DB Randy Russell, Carol City (Miami)
- 3-star ATH Nigel Bethel, Northwestern (Miami)
- 3-star K Evan McPherson, Fort Payne (Fort Payne, Ala.)
Top 5 targets
5-star CB Patrick Surtain Jr., American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.)
4-star WR Jacob Copeland, Escambia (Pensacola, Fla.)
4-star OL William Barnes, Apopka (Fla.)
4-star OL Nicholas Petit-Frere, Berkeley Prep (Tampa, Fla.)
4-star DE Andrew Chatfield, American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.)
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed at the position:
- QB: 0/1
- RB: 2/2 (Clement, Pierce)
- TE: 2/2 (Lang, Pitts)
- WR: 2/5 (Gammage, Thornton)
- OL: 2/5 (Bleich, Gouraige)
- DL: 1/3 (Upshaw)
- LB: 1/3 (Reese)
- DB: 1/4 (Russell)
- ATH: 1/1 (Burney)
Here’s a breakdown of Florida’s commits by state:
- Alabama: 1 (McPherson)
- Florida: 7 (Burney, Gammage, Gouraige, Lang, Reese, Russell, Thornton)
- Georgia: 1 (Pierce)
- New Jersey: 1 (Clement)
- Pennsylvania: 2 (Bleich, Pitts)
The post Florida recruiting: Latest updates on the Gators’ class appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.