Florida’s homecoming game against LSU produced the Gators’ biggest recruited weekend of the season thus far.
UF coach Jim McElwain & Co. hosted several top target on campus, including a few 5-star visitors. Despite the 17-16 loss to the Tigers, the weekend was a success on the recruiting front.
Where Florida’s class ranks
Florida’s 2018 class is ranked No. 8 nationally and No. 2 in the SEC. Nine of the Gators’ 17 commits are 4-star recruits. Florida has the SEC’s second-highest average star rating (90.14) behind Alabama (91.03).
The Gators hosted their highest-rated commits on campus for the LSU game, including offensive star power Matt Corral, Jacob Copeland, Ja’Marr Chase and Dameon Pierce. Not only did all four players make it to campus and spend time together, but each prospect told SEC Country they’re solidly committed to Florida despite interest from other schools.
A handful of recruiting targets also made their way to Gainesville, including 4-star offensive tackle Richard Gouraige and 5-star running back Noah Cain, who received an offer Wednesday following his visit to UF. The staff will welcome more recruits for the Texas A&M game and then hit the road for their fall evaluations.
Here’s the latest Florida recruiting news:
- Florida-LSU recruit reaction: ‘The Gators fought hard; they just gotta finish’
- Despite lead, Gators still contending with other teams for 4-star OT Richard Gouraige
- Florida QB commit Matt Corral: ‘This is where I want to be’
- Florida building a top-5 recruiting class around QB commit Matt Corral
- Future Gators: Matt Corral throws 86-yard TD pass in Week 7 shutout
- Top-50 WR Jacob Copeland solid to Florida despite recent Alabama visits
- Florida commit Dameon Pierce enrolling early, encouraged by Malik Davis
- Florida’s Drew Hughes says recruits will visit Saturday just to see uniforms
- Recruits love look of new Gators uniforms: ‘Florida just killed the game’
- Zach’s Mail Stack: Friday prediction for 4-star DT Coynis Miller
- 5-star RB Noah Cain discusses recent Florida visit that led to his UF offer
- Florida improves chances with LSU commits Kardell Thomas, Tyrion Davis
- Texas LB commit Ayodele Adeoye visits Florida, plans to return
- 4-star QB Matt Corral, Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.)
- 4-star RB Dameon Pierce, Bainbridge (Ga.)
- 4-star RB Iverson Clement,Rancocas Valley (Mount Holly, N.J.)
- 4-star WR Jacob Copeland, Escambia (Pensacola, Fla.)
- 4-star WR Ja’Marr Chase, Archbishop Rummel (Metairie, La.)
- 3-star WR Corey Gammage, Atlantic (Delray Beach, Fla.)
- 3-star WR Tyquan Thornton, Booker T. Washington (Miami)
- 3-star ATH Jalynn Williams, Saint Petersburg (Fla.)
- 4-star TE Kyle Pitts, Archbishop Wood (Warminster, Pa.)
- 3-star TE Dante Lang, Boca Raton (Fla.)
- 4-star OL Curtis Dunlap, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 3-star DE Taylor Upshaw, Braden River (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star LB David Reese, Vero Beach (Fla.)
- 3-star CB Divaad Wilson, Northwestern (Miami)
- 4-star DB Randy Russell, Carol City (Miami)
- 3-star DB Deontai Williams, Jones County J.C. (Ellisville, Miss.)
- 4-star ATH Amari Burney, Calvary Christian (Clearwater, Fla.)
Top 5 targets
4-star OL William Barnes, Apopka (Fla.)
4-star OL Richard Gouraige, Cambridge Christian (Tampa, Fla.)
4-star DE Andrew Chatfield, American Heritage (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
4-star OL Nicholas Petit-Frere, Berkeley Prep (Tampa, Fla.)
4-star DT Coynis Miller, Jackson-Olin (Birmingham, Ala.)
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed at the position:
- QB: 1/1 (Corral)
- RB: 2/2 (Clement, Pierce)
- TE: 2/2 (Lang, Pitts)
- WR: 4/5 (Chase, Copeland, Gammage, Thornton)
- OL: 1/4 (Dunlap)
- DL: 1/3 (Upshaw)
- LB: 1/1 (Reese)
- DB: 3/4 (Russell, Wilson, Williams)
- ATH: 2/2 (Burney, Williams)
Here’s a breakdown of Florida’s commits by state:
- California: 1 (Corral)
- Florida: 12 (Burney, Copeland, Dunlap, Gammage, Lang, Reese, Russell, Thornton, Upshaw, D. Williams, J. Williams, Wilson)
- Georgia: 1 (Pierce)
- Louisiana: 1 (Chase)
- New Jersey: 1 (Clement)
- Pennsylvania: 1 (Pitts)
The post Florida recruiting: Latest updates on the Gators’ class appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.