It’s been a busy week on the road for Florida coach Jim McElwain and his staff, conducting more than 30 recruiting evaluations during the bye.
One of the Gators’ top targets narrowed his recruitment to a pair of finalists after receiving a visit from McElwain.
Where Florida’s class ranks
Florida’s 2018 class is ranked No. 9 nationally and No. 3 in the SEC. Nine of the Gators’ 17 commits are 4-star recruits. Florida has the SEC’s third-highest average star rating (90.00) behind Alabama (90.88) and Georgia (90.10)
McElwain & Co. visited several of their top targets in recent days, including offensive linemen William Barnes, Richard Gouraige, Nicholas Petit-Frere and Ed Montilus. Gouraige named Clemson and Florida his top 2 schools on Monday and also had his Under Armour All-America Game induction ceremony this week.
SEC Country traveled to California to visit with Gators QB commit Matt Corral and we’ll have coverage from his homecoming game Friday. Check out his video interview below.
Here’s the latest Florida recruiting news:
- WATCH: Video interview with Florida QB commit Matt Corral
- Jim McElwain & Co. expect Florida’s 2018 class to be a ‘game-changer’
- Zach’s Mail Stack: Which Tampa tackle will Florida land?
- Richard Gouraige a must-get recruit for Florida with recent attrition
- Bye week gives Florida staff ‘tremendous power’ on recruiting trail
- Predicting the Gators’ signing class on defense
- Predicting the Gators’ signing class on offense
- After wild recruitments, Matt Corral, Justin Fields should make for entertaining rivalry
- Future Gators: WR Jacob Copeland wows with juke moves in Week 8
- OL Dontae Lucas nearing a decision, feels at home during Florida visit
- Florida secures top spot for elite WR Jeremiah Payton
- 4-star QB Matt Corral, Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.)
- 4-star RB Dameon Pierce, Bainbridge (Ga.)
- 4-star RB Iverson Clement,Rancocas Valley (Mount Holly, N.J.)
- 4-star WR Jacob Copeland, Escambia (Pensacola, Fla.)
- 4-star WR Ja’Marr Chase, Archbishop Rummel (Metairie, La.)
- 3-star WR Corey Gammage, Atlantic (Delray Beach, Fla.)
- 3-star WR Tyquan Thornton, Booker T. Washington (Miami)
- 3-star ATH Jalynn Williams, Saint Petersburg (Fla.)
- 4-star TE Kyle Pitts, Archbishop Wood (Warminster, Pa.)
- 3-star TE Dante Lang, Boca Raton (Fla.)
- 4-star OL Curtis Dunlap, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 3-star DE Taylor Upshaw, Braden River (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star LB David Reese, Vero Beach (Fla.)
- 3-star CB Divaad Wilson, Northwestern (Miami)
- 4-star DB Randy Russell, Carol City (Miami)
- 3-star DB Deontai Williams, Jones County J.C. (Ellisville, Miss.)
- 4-star ATH Amari Burney, Calvary Christian (Clearwater, Fla.)
Top 5 targets
4-star OL William Barnes, Apopka (Fla.)
4-star OL Richard Gouraige, Cambridge Christian (Tampa, Fla.)
4-star DE Andrew Chatfield, American Heritage (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
4-star OL Nicholas Petit-Frere, Berkeley Prep (Tampa, Fla.)
4-star DT Coynis Miller, Jackson-Olin (Birmingham, Ala.)
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed at the position:
- QB: 1/1 (Corral)
- RB: 2/2 (Clement, Pierce)
- TE: 2/2 (Lang, Pitts)
- WR: 4/5 (Chase, Copeland, Gammage, Thornton)
- OL: 1/4 (Dunlap)
- DL: 1/3 (Upshaw)
- LB: 1/1 (Reese)
- DB: 3/4 (Russell, Wilson, Williams)
- ATH: 2/2 (Burney, Williams)
Here’s a breakdown of Florida’s commits by state:
- California: 1 (Corral)
- Florida: 12 (Burney, Copeland, Dunlap, Gammage, Lang, Reese, Russell, Thornton, Upshaw, D. Williams, J. Williams, Wilson)
- Georgia: 1 (Pierce)
- Louisiana: 1 (Chase)
- New Jersey: 1 (Clement)
- Pennsylvania: 1 (Pitts)
The post Florida recruiting: Latest updates on the Gators’ class appeared first on SEC Country.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.