Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 8 Offensive Player of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from offensive players, but one stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Rodney Anderson
- Defensive player of the week Marcel Spears
- Special teams player of the week KaVontae Turpin
- Newcomer of the week Charlie Brewer
Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson
Oklahoma plays a stable of running backs, but Rodney Anderson was the hot hand against Kansas State on Saturday. The Sooners needed every one of his 177 total yards in a 42-35 win over the Wildcats.
The Sooners went down 21-7 in the first half. Oklahoma had run just 15 offensive plays before the Wildcats took a commanding lead on the strength of backup quarterback Alex Delton. After a touchdown on the first drive, Oklahoma’s offense fell apart.
However, things began to get back on track in the fourth quarter. Oklahoma went on a 21-0 run to take a 28-21 lead, including a 5-yard touchdown pass to Anderson. However, Kansas State answered later with a 75-yard drive to tie the game with just minutes to go.
That’s when Oklahoma put the ball in its playmakers’ hands. Anderson rushed for 23 yards and caught an 8-yard pass to set up 2nd-and-10 at the Kansas State 22-yard line. The Sooners only needed a field goal to win, but Anderson took a carry 22 yards to the house with 7 seconds remaining to win the game.
Anderson finished with 19 carries for 147 yards and a touchdown, and 4 catches for 30 yards and a receiving score.
- Iowa State RB David Montgomery had 28 carries for 164 yards in the Cyclones’ 31-13 win over Texas Tech in Lubbock.
- TCU quarterback Kenny Hill completed 19-of-26 passes for 278 yards and 5 touchdowns in the Horned Frogs dominant 43-0 win over Kansas.
- West Virginia QB Will Grier completed 26-of-37 passes for 375 yards and 5 touchdowns in the Mountaineers’ 38-36 win over Baylor.
The post DieHards Big 12 Offensive Player of Week 8: Rodney Anderson makes clutch plays appeared first on Diehards.