Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 8 Newcomer of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from newcomers, but one stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Rodney Anderson
- Defensive player of the week Marcel Spears
- Special teams player of the week KaVontae Turpin
- Newcomer of the week Charlie Brewer
Baylor QB Charlie Brewer
Most expected Baylor freshman Charlie Brewer to redshirt behind quarterbacks Zach Smith and Anu Solomon. But when Solomon went down with concussion issues, that went out the window. Matt Rhule decided to put Brewer in for the fourth quarter against No. 23 West Virginia. That’s when things went crazy.
Brewer threw a 52-yard touchdown pass to Trestan Ebner on just his third play from scrimmage. The next drive, Ebner rushed for another 40-yard touchdown. Brewer’s running threat played a significant part.
However, the more impressive drives came later. Brewer led 13- and 16-play scoring drives down the stretch to manufacture a 23-0 run against the Mountaineers. Baylor came into the fourth quarter with just 267 yards. It posted 230 yards on 7.2 yards per play with Brewer under center in the fourth quarter alone.
Brewer completed 8-of-13 passes for 109 yards and 2 touchdowns, including one with just seconds on the clock. He added 10 carries for 40 yards on the ground.
Now, Matt Rhule has a difficult decision as to whether he will start Brewer or Zach Smith against Texas next week. Regardless, Brewer made a heck of a case.
- Picking between Brewer and teammate running back Trestan Ebner was difficult. Ebner only touched the ball eight times, but went for 163 total yards and 3 touchdowns in the Bears’ comeback.
- Oklahoma wide receiver Marquise Brown posted 6 catches for 126 yards in the Sooners’ 42-35 win over Kansas State in Manhattan, Kan.
- West Virginia QB Will Grier posted 375 yards and 5 touchdowns with no turnovers in the Mountaineers’ 38-36 win over Baylor.
The post DieHards Big 12 Newcomer of Week 8: Charlie Brewer leads near comeback appeared first on Diehards.