Welcome to Big 12 DieHards’ Week 8 Defensive Player of the Week. There were a number of exciting performances across the Big 12 from defensive players, but one stood apart.
Also check out our other Big 12 player of the week awards:
- Offensive player of the week Rodney Anderson
- Defensive player of the week Marcel Spears
- Special teams player of the week KaVontae Turpin
- Newcomer of the week Charlie Brewer
Iowa State LB Marcel Spears
Since beating No. 3 Oklahoma earlier this year, the Cyclones’ defense has been playing on a different level. That continued on Saturday against Texas Tech, one of the best offenses in the nation. The Cyclones held Tech to just 18 passing yards in the first half.
However, Texas Tech made a run in the second half to cut the lead to 24-13. Spears was having a good game with 7 tackles, including 5 solo. However, he made his biggest contribution during the fourth quarter.
Texas Tech was driving down the field and into Iowa State territory. Red Raider quarterback Nic Shimonek had just completed a pair of passes for 23 yards down to the Iowa State 33-yard line. Then, Spears jumped out at picked Shimonek off and returned it 61 yards for a touchdown.
The score gave Iowa State a 31-13 lead with 9:07 left to go in the fourth quarter, and effectively ended the Red Raider run. More importantly, it crushed their spirit. Texas Tech had a turnover on downs and a punt to end the game, and that was that.
- West Virginia linebacker Al-Rasheed Benton posted 7 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks in the Mountaineers 38-36 win over Baylor.
- Kansas State linebacker Jayd Kirby posted 13 tackles, a tackle for loss and 2 pass breakups during the Wildcats’ 42-35 loss to Oklahoma.
- TCU linebacker Travin Howard had 5 tackles, a sack, a pass breakup and a quarterback hurry during the Horned Frogs’ 43-0 win over Kansas.
The post DieHards Big 12 Defensive Player of Week 8: Marcel Spears scores appeared first on Diehards.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.