The 2018 NFL Draft is getting closer, but there’s still time for analysts to change up their mock drafts.
That’s what FS1 radio host Colin Cowherd did on Thursday, releasing the third version of his mock draft. And it didn’t bode well for the SEC.
Cowherd has no SEC players being selected in the top five picks. However, he has a pair of former Alabama players getting drafted at Nos. 6 and 7 — wide receiver Calvin Ridley to the New York Jets and defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Cowherd said his reasoning for the Jets selecting Ridley, which is higher than many analysts have the former Crimson Tide receiver going, is that they’ll want playmakers to go with new quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, who they signed on Wednesday.
“We got our quarterbacks. We may not love him, but we’re going to go for the best available, explosive, dynamic perimeter player,” Cowherd said. “Nobody else has Calvin Ridley in their top 10. I think he’s the best receiver in a weak receiver class. Runs good routes, tough, stays available — Jets go Calvin Ridley.”
Fitzpatrick should certainly be a top-10 pick, and there are several teams that will likely consider drafting him. In Cowherd’s case, he sees the former Tide standout falling to No. 7.
“He’s the best available player in the draft,” Cowherd said. “Some think, I’m one of them, he may be the only can’t miss guy in this draft, beyond the Notre Dame offensive linemen.”
Here’s a look at Cowherd’s full top 10 (former SEC players in bold):
- Cleveland Browns — Sam Darnold, QB, USC
- New York Giants — Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
- Arizona Cardinals (acquired from Indianapolis Colts) — Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
- Cleveland Browns — Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame
- Denver Broncos — Bradley Chubb, DL, N.C. State
- New York Jets — Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
- Chicago Bears — Denzel Ward, DB, Ohio State
- Buffalo Bills (acquired from San Francisco 49ers) — Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
- Oakland Raiders — Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
Cowherd also has former Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield getting drafted by the Miami Dolphins at No. 11.
To see Cowherd explain all of his top-10 picks, watch the video below:
— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) March 15, 2018
The post Colin Cowherd has former Alabama WR Calvin Ridley as top SEC player in NFL mock draft appeared first on SEC Country.