The biggest recruiting news of the week came Tuesday when safety Joseph Charleston became the first member of the Class of 2019. There wasn’t as much movement on the 2018 front, but there was news nonetheless.
Here’s where the class stands:
Where Clemson’s class ranks
Clemson’s class ranks third in the ACC and 14th in the nation. Although the Tigers have 11 commitments, the class is headlined by two of the top recruits in the country — quarterback Trevor Lawrence and defensive end Xavier Thomas. The Tigers have three top-100 recruits, according to the 247Sports composite rankings.
Clemson kept its season rolling last Saturday with a 28-14 win over Wake Forest despite quarterback Kelly Bryant exiting the game with an ankle injury. He’s good to go for the Tigers’ game against Syracuse on Friday, though, so Clemson shouldn’t have much to worry about.
Here are the recruiting headlines from this week:
- Dabo Swinney explained Clemson’s strategy when talking to recruits. They don’t try to ‘pitch’ them, instead they do something else.
- As expected, Trevor Lawrence put up some ridiculous numbers — only, he didn’t play after halftime.
- Adonis Otey visited last week, and the corner from Tennessee — and former Volunteer commit — liked what he saw.
- I took a look at a few names at offensive line to watch down the road.
Offers by the numbers
Reported offers: 106
5-star offers: 14
4-star offers: 66
In-state recruits offered: 11
Georgia recruits offered: 20
Florida recruits offered: 25
- 5-star QB Trevor Lawrence, Cartersville (Cartersville, Ga.)
- 5-star SDE Xavier Thomas, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star WR Derion Kendrick, South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.)
- 4-star CB Kyler McMichael, Greater Atlanta Christian School (Norcross, Ga.)
- 4-star DT Josh Belk, Lewisville (Richburg, S.C.)
- 4-star WDE Justin Mascoll, South Gwinnett (Snellville, Ga.)
- 4-star OLB Mike Jones Jr., IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 3-star DT Darnell Jefferies, Newton (Covington, Ga.)
- 3-star OLB Jake Venables, Daniel (Central, S.C.)
- 3-star TE Braden Galloway, Seneca (S.C.)
- 3-star K BT Potter, South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.)
5 top uncommitted targets
5-star WDE K.J. Henry, West Forsyth (Clemmons, N.C.)
Henry announced he’ll make his decision Dec. 20 before enrolling early. Clemson will get a visit, and I like the Tigers’ chances. He’s choosing between Clemson, South Carolina, Alabama, Virginia Tech and Georgia.
Ross visited Auburn for the second week in a row, and he got to watch the Tigers start to figure out their offense. He had voiced concerns about Auburn’s issues in the passing game before, but although the troubles there seem to be in the past, he still likes Clemson a lot.
5-star CB Patrick Surtain Jr., American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.)
Surtain has LSU in the lead, but he’s got to decide where his other four official visits will be from a group that includes Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida and Florida State. Clemson has got work to do.
5-star G Jamaree Salyer, Pace Academy (Atlanta)
Clemson is one of two schools leading for Salyer along with his in-state Georgia Bulldogs. However, the commitment of Justin Fields to Georgia probably helped the Bulldogs’ cause. The Tigers are facing an uphill battle for the top-ranked guard in the country.
3-star OL Jordan McFadden, Dorman (Roebuck, S.C.)
The Virginia Tech commit watched the school he’s currently pledged to get beaten by Clemson, the school who is trying to flip him, in Blacksburg, Va., two weeks ago. Afterward, he said he was torn during the game and couldn’t decide who to actually root for without switching sides a handful of times.
Where each of Clemson’s commits line up on the field, and how many I think they’re still looking to take at each position.
QB: (1/1) Lawrence
WR: (1/2) Kendrick
TE: (1/1) Galloway
DL: (4/5) Thomas, Mascoll, Belk, Jeffries
LB: (2/2) Jones Jr., Venables
DB: (1/2) McMichael
K: (1/1) Potter
Where Clemson’s commits are from, by state:
South Carolina: 5 (Kendrick, Belk, Venables, Galloway, Potter)
Georgia: 4 (Lawrence, McMichael, Mascoll, Jeffries)
Florida: 2 (Thomas, Jones Jr.)
The post Clemson recruiting: Latest updates on the Tigers’ next class appeared first on Diehards.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.