Clemson’s season took a turn for the worse last week with a funky loss to Syracuse on Friday the 13th. But there was some good news the next week, at least on the recruiting front. The Tigers were named a finalist by a few highly touted guys, and some recent developments in another’s recruitment bear good tidings as well.
Here’s where the class stands currently:
Where Clemson’s class ranks
Clemson’s class ranks third in the ACC and 14th in the nation. Although the Tigers have 11 commitments, the class is headlined by two of the top recruits in the country — quarterback Trevor Lawrence and defensive end Xavier Thomas. The Tigers have three top-100 recruits, according to the 247Sports composite rankings.
Syracuse stunned the college football world — perhaps setting a precedent for what ended up being a wild weekend — and upset Clemson 27-24 on Friday. To make matters worse, quarterback Kelly Bryant went down with yet another injury and had to miss the second half. He should be back on the other side of Clemson’s off week and ready for the Georgia Tech game on Oct. 28.
Here are the recruiting headlines from this week:
- After another terrific performance, Trevor Lawrence is just a few drives away from breaking Deshaun Watson’s all-time passing record in the state of Georgia.
- 4-star OT Richard Gouraige named his top 2 schools, and Clemson will be battling Florida for him.
- After Tennessee’s loss last week, running back Lyn-J Dixon de-committed from the Volunteers. Expect Clemson to be pushing hard for him.
- I took a look at what Joseph Charleston — who committed last week — brings to the field.
Offers by the numbers
Reported offers: 106
5-star offers: 14
4-star offers: 66
In-state recruits offered: 11
Georgia recruits offered: 20
Florida recruits offered: 25
- 5-star QB Trevor Lawrence, Cartersville (Cartersville, Ga.)
- 5-star SDE Xavier Thomas, IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star WR Derion Kendrick, South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.)
- 4-star CB Kyler McMichael, Greater Atlanta Christian School (Norcross, Ga.)
- 4-star DT Josh Belk, Lewisville (Richburg, S.C.)
- 4-star WDE Justin Mascoll, South Gwinnett (Snellville, Ga.)
- 4-star OLB Mike Jones Jr., IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 3-star DT Darnell Jefferies, Newton (Covington, Ga.)
- 3-star OLB Jake Venables, Daniel (Central, S.C.)
- 3-star TE Braden Galloway, Seneca (S.C.)
- 3-star K BT Potter, South Pointe (Rock Hill, S.C.)
5 top uncommitted targets
5-star WDE K.J. Henry, West Forsyth (Clemmons, N.C.)
Henry announced he’ll make his decision Dec. 20 before enrolling early. He’s already visited Georgia, and he’s slated to make a trip to Blacksburg, Va., this week to visit Virginia Tech. A Clemson visit is on the horizon.
Ross’ last two visits were to Auburn — in back-to-back weeks, no less. His family, which lives less than an hour from Auburn, loves it there, so there’s a strong pull to stay home. Clemson likely remains the leader in the clubhouse, though.
4-star OL Richard Gouraige, Cambridge Christian (Tampa, Fla.)
Gouraige released his top 2 schools this week, and Clemson is there along with Florida. The home-state pull is obviously strong with the Gators — he has visited Florida twice in the last six months, but the appeal to come to Clemson is there.
4-star RB Lyn-J Dixon, Taylor County (Butler, Ga.)
After being committed to Tennessee since June 24, Dixon reopened his recruitment on Saturday, the same day he visited Alabama for the Tide’s win over Arkansas. The Tigers are yet to sign a running back in this class, and Dixon’s recent developments open the door for them to grab him.
3-star OL Jordan McFadden, Dorman (Roebuck, S.C.)
The Virginia Tech commit watched those Hokies fall to Clemson, the school that is trying to flip him, in Blacksburg, Va., two weeks ago. Afterward, he said he was torn during the game and couldn’t decide who to actually root for without switching sides a handful of times.
Where each of Clemson’s commits line up on the field, and how many I think they’re still looking to take at each position.
QB: (1/1) Lawrence
WR: (1/2) Kendrick
TE: (1/1) Galloway
DL: (4/5) Thomas, Mascoll, Belk, Jeffries
LB: (2/2) Jones Jr., Venables
DB: (1/2) McMichael
K: (1/1) Potter
Where Clemson’s commits are from, by state:
South Carolina: 5 (Kendrick, Belk, Venables, Galloway, Potter)
Georgia: 4 (Lawrence, McMichael, Mascoll, Jeffries)
Florida: 2 (Thomas, Jones Jr.)
The post Clemson recruiting: Latest updates on the Tigers’ next class appeared first on Diehards.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.