Baylor football had a couple of targets move around two weeks ago, but all was quiet this week in the Class of 2018.
In fact, the Bears are starting to prioritize building relationships with much younger players. Baylor has 27 offers out to players in the Class of 2020, and even two to Class of 2021 players. Coach Matt Rhule hopes building relationships early will help give the Bears when it comes time to sign these players who are now freshmen and sophomores.
Here’s how Baylor’s 2018 recruiting class looks heading into Week 8:
Where Baylor’s class ranks
Baylor’s 2018 recruiting class ranks No. 31 nationally and No. 5 in the Big 12 with 19 commits. The Bears are behind Texas, Oklahoma and TCU. Baylor has one 4-star commit and five in the top 500.
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 125
- 5-star offers: 2
- 4-star offers: 47
- In-state recruits offered: 65
- Florida recruits offered: 24
- Louisiana recruits offered: 5
- Pennsylvania recruits offered: 5
- Georgia recruits offered: 3
- New Jersey recruits offered: 3
- WR Joshua Fleeks, 4 stars, Cedar Hill (Texas)
- APB Craig Williams, 3 stars, Crosby (Texas)
- WR Kalon Barnes, 3 stars, Silsbee (Texas)
- ATH Stanley Hackett, 3 stars, Sam Rayburn (Pasadena, Texas)
- OT Connor Galvin, 3 stars, Katy (Texas)
- DT Joshua Landry, 3 stars, Lamar (Houston)
- TE Bralen Taylor, 3 stars, Cuero (Texas)
- TE Christoph Henle, 3 stars, The Oakridge School (Arlington, Texas)
- S Christian Morgan, 3 stars, Porter (Texas)
- OLB Joseph Ogunbanjo, 3 stars, Alief Taylor (Houston)
- S JT Woods, 3 stars, Steele (Cibolo, Texas)
- OT Casey Phillips, 3 stars, Franklin (Texas)
- OT Jackson Kimble, 3 stars, Carroll (Southlake, Texas)
- WR Jackson Gleeson, 3 stars, Mansfield (Texas)
- ATH Mark Milton, 3 stars, Clear Brook (Friendswood, Texas)
- OT Ylijaah Hall, 3 stars, Bryan (Texas)
- TE Ben Sims, 3 stars, Clark (San Antonio)
- WDE Marje Smith, 3 stars, Marshall (Texas)
- P Isaac Power, unranked, Ponderosa (Parker, Colo.)
5 top uncommitted targets
4-star QB Gerry Bohanon, Earle (Ark.)
Gerry Bohanon is looking everywhere for options. He visited LSU last week and officially set a date to visit in-state Arkansas next month. However, Baylor should still remain high on his list after the series of trips because of the relationship they’ve built.
Bohanon’s home-state school has been pushing for him for a while, but the Razorbacks already have a quarterback committed in the Class of 2018. The Razorbacks also have five quarterbacks who are either freshmen on sophomores on the roster, per 247Sports. A crowded room might be unattractive.
4-star DT Bobby Brown, Lamar (Arlington, Texas)
Bobby Brown put Baylor in his final eight schools, but landing him seems like a longshot. He holds offers from all the nation’s most prestigious football schools and is considered an Alabama lean.
Not getting Brown would not be the end of the world. Rhule is a developmental coach anyway. However, that Baylor is making final lists for such notable prospects bodes well for future recruiting.
4-star WR Tommy Bush, Samuel Clemens (Schertz, Texas)
Tommy Bush is planning one of his official visits to Michigan State, which will be Nov. 4 or Nov. 18. He also will visit Texas this weekend. However, Bush has visited Baylor multiple times and still remains in good standing with the program.
Rhule told Bush that he can commit to the school at any time, even up to the wire. Texas and Baylor are considered the top two contenders for his services. Bush would be a game-changing wide receiver recruit, and he might even start right away next to Chris Platt and Denzel Mims.
DE Azur Kamara, Arizona Western CC (Phoenix)
Baylor offered top-40 junior college prospect Azur Kamara from Arizona Western two weeks ago. That community college ranks among the best programs in the sport at that level, and Kamara is one of its best players.
Kamara is one of the team’s best defensive players, posting 7 tackles for loss and 5 sacks through four games. However, the Bears are competing with several programs, including Florida State and Tennessee.
QB Terry Wilson, Garden City CC (Oklahoma City)
Terry Wilson remains a top option for the Bears in the Class of 2018. Baylor wants two scholarship quarterbacks – a high school recruit and a transfer – to help rebuild quarterback depth. The Bears only have two healthy scholarship quarterbacks on the roster at this point.
Wilson is a former Oregon quarterback and blue-chip national recruit. He also has some athletic ability, which Rhule values in quarterbacks. However, Indiana became his second offer earlier this month. The Hoosiers might be able to offer a starting spot, which Baylor can’t.
Here is a breakdown of the number of commits by position:
- QB: 0
- RB: 2 (Williams, Hackett)
- TE: 3 (Taylor, Henle, Sims)
- WR: 4 (Fleeks, Barnes, Gleeson, Milton)
- OL: 4 (Galvin, Phillips, Kimble, Hall)
- DL: 2 (Landry, Smith)
- ILB: 0
- OLB: 1 (Ogunbanjo)
- CB: 0
- S: 2 (Morgan, Woods)
- P: 1 (Power)
Here’s a breakdown of Baylor’s commits by state:
The post Baylor recruiting update: Bears playing long game with future class appeared first on Diehards.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.