Much like Justin Ferguson does on the Auburn team side, recruiting reporter Benjamin Wolk will answer the Recruiting Question of the Day every day of the week. You can ask him questions on Twitter or Facebook. Look for our Question of the Day each weekday. Go here to see our previous answers.
Who are the offensive line targets for 2019? They need to get a jump on the big guys up front if they want to be elite with the likes of Alabama and now UGA.
— Ryan Pearcy (@PearcyRyan) February 12, 2018
Fair or not, Auburn’s recruiting classes will always be judged against the ones brought to Tuscaloosa, Ala., and Athens, Ga.
As @PearcyRyan points out, Auburn needs to emphasize the offensive line in the 2019 class. That’s clearly the position group that was lacking in the 2018 class, only bringing in two new prospects — Jalil Irvin and Kam Stutts — who will both be interior linemen for the Tigers. It follows a recruiting class in 2017 when Auburn brought in only three signees with Calvin Ashley, Nick Brahms and Austin Troxell.
In those two years, Georgia signed 10 offensive linemen and Alabama inked seven. The Bulldogs have monopolized the offensive line market some the last two seasons. Like Auburn, Alabama only signed two offensive linemen in the 2018 class. So yes, the Tigers are chasing their two main rivals some along the offensive front.
In general, however, Auburn needs to bring in a full offensive line in the 2019 class to prepare for upcoming departures — and to solidify a three-deep chart. Until assistant coaches meet with reporters during spring practice, we’ll have to rely on educated guesses for how many offensive linemen Auburn will take in the 2019 class.
My best guess is five or six.
Here’s an early look at the names to watch at tackle, guard and center. I fully expect those five or six to come from the group below, though a few new names could emerge as J.B. Grimes does his spring evaluations. It’s still a little too early to say definitively who Auburn leads for or who the Tigers are most likely to land.
But take a look at the most likely additions.
- 5-star Devontae Dobbs, Belleville, Mich.
- 5-star Pierce Quick, Trussville, Ala. (Alabama commit)
- 4-star Harry Miller, Buford, Ga.
- 4-star Wanya Morris, Loganville, Ga.
- 4-star Amari Kight, Alabaster, Ala.
- 4-star Darius Thomas, Jonesboro, Ark.
- 4-star Warren McClendon, Brunswick, Ga.
- 4-star Michael Tarquin, Belleview, Fla.
- 3-star Charles Turner, Bradenton, Fla.
- 3-star Adrian Medley, Pensacola, Fla.
- 3-star Carter Colquitt, Buford, Ga.
- 3-star Chris Akporoghene, Bradenton, Fla.
- 4-star Deyavie Hammond, Bradenton, Fla.
- 4-star Evan Neal, Bradenton, Fla.
- 4-star Keiondre Jones, Hogansville, Ga.
- 4-star Dontae Lucas, Bradenton, Fla.
- 5-star Clay Webb, Oxford, Ala.
To see all the answers to prior Auburn questions, click here.
The post Auburn recruiting question of the day: Who will Tigers target on offensive line in 2019 class? appeared first on SEC Country.